This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Mayor||Halil Posbıyık (CHP)|
|• Kaymakam||İbrahim Çay|
|• District||976.26 km2 (376.94 sq mi)|
|• District density||180/km2 (460/sq mi)|
Modern Ereğli is the home of Erdemir, an important steel plant of Turkey. It has a large natural harbour, located in the lee of Baba Burnu and therefore one of the few geographically attractive places for a harbour on the western Black Sea coast of Turkey. Ereğli is well developed due to the presence of the steel plant and fishing is a major commercial activity in the city Because of its Black Sea beach, Ereğli is a popular tourist destination locally. The city does not have an airport (Erdemir has a small private field) or rail station, but can be reached by automobile or bus from Ankara, Istanbul and other places.
In addition to its fishing and steel, Ereğli is also well known for its delicious Ottoman strawberry.
The discoverer of the northern Turkish coalfields, Uzun Mehmet, lived in the Kestaneci Köyü ("Chestnut-seller Village") section of Ereğli.
The International Love, Peace, Friendship, Culture and Art Festival is held every year in the Karadeniz Eregli.
The city was a Greek city in ancient times known as Heraclea Pontica after the Greek mythical hero Heracles. The Turkish name Karadeniz Ereğli means "Black Sea Ereğli" (kara="black", deniz="sea"), which distinguishes it from other places called Ereğli (the name Ereğli derives from Heraclea).
It was founded by a Megarian colony, which soon subjugated the native Mariandynians and extended its power over a considerable territory. The prosperity of the city, rudely shaken by the Galatians and the Bithynians, was utterly destroyed in the Mithridatic Wars. It was the birthplace of Heraclides Ponticus. According to Greek mythology, the cave guarded by the three-headed dog Cerberus is located near the town. For his final quest, Heracles is tasked with entering the cave and capturing Cerberus.
Zonguldak 1. Amateur leagues and in the 2012-2013 Beko Basketball League Erdemirspor.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "Zonguldak Ereğli Seçim Sonuçları - 31 Mart 2019 Yerel Seçimleri". www.sabah.com.tr. Retrieved 2020-03-28.
- "Erdemir - Contact Us". www.erdemir.com.tr. Retrieved 2020-03-28.
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Heraclea". Encyclopædia Britannica. 13 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 308.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karadeniz Ereğli.|