Kamal Khan Dam (Pashto: کمال خان بند) is a hydroelectric and irrigation dam project on the Helmand River in Chahar Burjak District of Nimruz Province in south-western Afghanistan. It is located about 95 km to the southeast of Zaranj. Construction work on the dam officially began in 1974 but after the 1978 Saur Revolution, the Americans involved in the construction were compelled to leave Afghanistan and the project was abandoned. It was recently completed.
|Kamal Khan dam|
|Official name||بند کمال خان|
|Location||Chahar Burjak District, Nimruz Province|
|Purpose||Irrigation and Hydroelectricity|
|Opening date||24 March 2021|
|Construction cost||$78-85 million|
|Owner(s)||National Water Affairs Regulation Authority|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Gravity|
|Length||2.274Km main dam|
|Elevation at crest||532|
|Width (crest)||9m (changing)|
|Width (base)||90m (changing)|
|Total capacity||52 million cubic meters|
|Annual generation||9 GWh|
The hydroelectric plant produces 9 MW of electric power in addition to providing irrigation to about 175,000 hectares (432,434 acres) of agricultural land. Its reservoir has the capacity to store up to 52 million cubic meters of fresh water.
Kamal Khan Dam is managed by Afghanistan's National Water Affairs Regulation Authority (NWARA), which was formerly the Ministry of Energy and Water. Work on the 3rd phase of the dam began on 19 April 2017 by President Ashraf Ghani and members of his administration. The Iranian government has requested that the Afghan government releases more water toward Iran.
- "Helmand's Golden Age". BBC News. Archived from the original on 7 August 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2021.
- "Afghanistan successfully tests water flow at major dam". Anadolu Agency. 4 January 2021. Retrieved 4 February 2021.
- "Kamal Khan Dam reservoir fills up with water". Khaama Press. 4 January 2021. Retrieved 4 February 2021.
- "Inauguration of Kamal Khan Dam soon: Ahadi". Pajhwok Afghan News. 4 January 2021. Retrieved 4 February 2021.
- "Kamal Khan Water Dam entangled in challenges from neighbors". The Frontier Post. 7 January 2020. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- "Afghanistan National Water Information System development". Retrieved 20 March 2021.
- "Inauguration of Kamal Khan Dam soon: Ahadi". Pajhwok Afghan News. 27 September 2018. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- "Ghani Inaugurates Next Phase Of Kamal Khan Dam Project". TOLOnews. 20 April 2017. Retrieved 11 February 2021.
- "Work on Kamal Khan Dam phase-III to begin soon". Pajhwok Afghan News. 4 January 2021. Retrieved 18 July 2017.
- Rasmussen, Sune Engel (22 March 2017). "Dam project promises water – but also conflict – for dusty Afghan border lands". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- News, Ariana (7 January 2020). "Kamal Khan Water Dam entangled in challenges from Neighbors". Ariana News. Retrieved 13 June 2020.
|last=has generic name (help)
- "Decades in making, Afghan mega dam opens on Iran border". aa.com.tr. 24 March 2021.
- National Water Affairs Regulation Authority (NWARA)
- Zawia News Kamal Khan Water Dam Latest Report (video in Pashto language, Feb. 4, 2021)
- Nimruz celebrates Kamal Khan Dam progress as reservoir fills up (video in Persian language, Ariana News, Feb. 4, 2021)
- Kamal Khan Dam in Nimroz Province 'Nearly Finished': Official (TOLOnews), Feb. 4, 2021)