Kalka railway station
Kalka railway station is the northern terminus of the Delhi-Kalka line and the starting point of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Kalka–Shimla Railway. It is located in the Indian state of Haryana. It serves Kalka and passengers moving on to Shimla.
|Indian Railway Station|
Kalka railway station nameplate
|Location||Kalka-Shimla Highway, Kalka, Panchkula District, Haryana|
|Elevation||658 metres (2,159 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Northern Railway|
|Structure type||Standard on ground|
The railway stationEdit
Kalka railway station is located at an altitude of 658 metres (2,159 ft) above mean sea level. It was allotted the railway code of KLK under the jurisdiction of Ambala railway division.
The Delhi-Panipat-Ambala-Kalka line was opened in 1891.
The 610 mm (2 ft) wide narrow gauge Kalka-Shimla Railway was constructed by Delhi-Panipat-Ambala-Kalka Railway Company and opened for traffic in 1903. In 1905 the line was regauged to 762 mm (2 ft 6 in) wide narrow gauge.
Chandigarh-Kalka sector was electrified in 1999-2000.
Kalka has a narrow gauge diesel shed for the maintenance of ZDM-3 and ZDM-5 narrow gauge diesel locos.
Kalka railway station has two double-bedded non-AC retiring rooms and a four-bedded dormitory. It has a computerized reservation office, vegetarian and non-vegetarian refreshment rooms and book stall.
Kalka Mail (numbered 1 Up / 2 Dn) began operation in 1866 between Howrah and Delhi and then further extended from Delhi to Kalka in 1891. Both the terminal stations had internal carriageway for the cars of Viceroy and other high-ranking officers to reach next to their rail coach, The carriageway at Howrah is still used and runs between platforms 8 and 9, but the carriageway at Kalka has been converted into a platform.
- "Kalka Railway Station". India Rail Info. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "IR History: Early Days II (1870-1899)". IRFCA. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Engineer" journal article, circa 1915, reprinted in Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review, no. 75, July 2008
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Sheds and workshops". IRFCA. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Northern Railway retiring room facilities". Archived from the original on 4 August 2013. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Kalka Railway Station". Make My Trip. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Train tales from a bygone era". The Tribune, 20 April 2002. Retrieved 2 August 2013.