Kalinda Sharma is a character from CBS television series The Good Wife, portrayed by Archie Panjabi for the first six seasons of the show's run. For her performance, Panjabi received three Primetime Emmy Award nominations, winning in 2010 and received one Golden Globe nomination.
|The Good Wife character|
September 22, 2009
|Last appearance||"Wanna Partner?"
May 10, 2015
|Created by||Robert King and Michelle King|
|Portrayed by||Archie Panjabi|
Cary AgosLana Delaney
Kalinda previously worked for Peter Florrick (Chris Noth) for three years. He fired her after accusing her of working two jobs. After becoming good friends, Peter's wife Alicia Florrick (Julianna Margulies) finds out Kalinda had a one-night stand with Peter before she knew Alicia, damaging their friendship; but over time, the two start to reconcile. In season four, it is revealed that Kalinda has an estranged abusive husband, Nick Saverese (played by Marc Warren). Kalinda also grows romantically close with Cary Agos (Matt Czuchry). In season six, she desperately tries to save Cary from a malicious prosecution on drug-related charges while Alicia is busy running for office, and at a point of desperation, fakes a Brady violation through computer hacking to have Cary's charges dropped. Later, when her deception is caught, she is forced to surrender drug dealer Lemond Bishop (Mike Colter) to the state's attorney's office in order to spare Diane Lockhart (Christine Baranski) from prosecution; Diane had unknowingly used the fake evidence in court. In order not to be found by Bishop for turning him over to the state's attorney office, Kalinda disappears for her own safety.
Kalinda is unflappable, inscrutable, fiercely private, and occasionally physically violent. She is exceptionally good at her job, although her tactics are not always strictly legal. She is often the key to the firm's winning a case, usually at the 11th hour. She generally does not work well with others. Although Kalinda doesn't let many people close to her, she becomes good friends with Alicia, with the aid of tequila shots; and she feels protective of Alicia. Kalinda has a cynical, misanthropic outlook on human behavior. She is bisexual and has a series of relationships through the show, mostly with women and often because they can help her with a case. Kalinda once claimed that she prefers women because to her, women are better lovers than men for women understand her needs and feelings better. Very little is known about Kalinda when the series begins, and she is incredibly secretive about her past.
Kalinda's fashion plays a huge role in her character. As an employee in a prestigious law firm her outfit is a contrast to those of the lawyers as it's a lot more provocative and edgy. The character's signature wardrobe piece has become a pair of knee-high boots; the character initially wore pumps but Panjabi felt that boots "grounded her in the character." The character is also noted for wearing a lot of leather jackets often seen in Burberry, Elie Tahari, Dolce & Gabbana and Prada. The character according to the costume designer has over 60 leather jackets.
- Rice, Lynette. "Archie Panjabi on Kalinda's relationship with Alicia and what she thought of her Good Wife exit -- EXCLUSIVE". Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "Archie Panjabi". emmys.com. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "Inside the High-End Fashion Sensibility on CBS’s ‘The Good Wife’". The daily beast. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- Moore, Frazier (November 11, 2011). "Archie Panjabi heats up CBS drama 'The Good Wife'". articles.boston.com. Retrieved February 13, 2012.
- Raphael, Amy (September 4, 2010). "Archie Panjabi: 'I love roles that transform me'". The Guardian. London: GMG. ISSN 0261-3077. OCLC 60623878. Retrieved February 13, 2012.
- Wightman, Catriona (June 17, 2011). "'The Good Wife' Archie Panjabi chats Kalinda". digitalspy.ca. Retrieved February 13, 2012.
- Stanhope, Kate (October 20, 2010). "The Good Wife Episode Guide 2010 Season 2". tvguide.com. Retrieved February 13, 2012.
Watching Kalinda, in her trademark boots,...
- Lawson, Daniel (2012). "Blogs – The Good Wife". cbs.com. Archived from the original on December 28, 2011. Retrieved February 13, 2012.
- "Fashion Finds from The Good Wife". Lockhart Gardner blog. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- "The Good Wife - Kalinda's Fashion with Daniel Lawson". YouTube. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- Lawson, Daniel. "Daniel Lawson Twitter". Twitter. Twitter.