Jyllinge is a town located on the eastern shores of Roskilde Fjord, midway between Roskilde and Frederiksværk, Roskilde Municipality, some 40 km west of Copenhagen, Denmark. The original fishing village is surrounded by large areas of Single-family detached homes. As of 1.January 2015, it had a population of population of 10,092 (1 January 2015).
Hotel Søfryd in Old Jyllinge
|Elevation||24 m (79 ft)|
|• Density||47.9/km2 (124/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (GMT)|
Jyllinge is first mentioned in 1171 as Iuleghe, possibly derived from Iula, meaning "the yellow', an old name for Lilleø, and from Old Danish eki, meaning "oak forest".
The village consisted of a mixture of fishermen and farmers. The fishing took place from small boats on the fiord and was mainly for eal. In 1861, the village had 28 fishermen and 21 boats. The first primitive harbor was constructed in 1870. It saw a modest expansion in 1906 and a boatyard opened in 1909. In 1926, a group of fishermen founded Jyllinge Fish Exports. A new harbor was constructed between 1956 and 1969.
Only a single commercial fishing vessel continues to operate out of Jyllinge Harbour. A marina with room for 400 leisure crafts has been constructed to the south of the harbor. A smaller. privately owned marina is located on its north side.
Jyllinge has two churches. The medieval Jyllinge Church around 1100, making it one of the oldest in Denmark. The original Tomanesque church was expanded with the short tower and the porch during the Late Gothic period. The modern Church of the Holy Cross was completed in 2008 to a design by Jan Søndergaards of KHR Arkitekter. It is built in GRP composite.
Jyllinge has two primary schools, Jyllinge School and Baunehøj School. Jyllingecentret is a small shopping centre.
- H. A. Brendekilde (1857 – 1942 in Jyllinge) was a Danish painter, initially social realist style, later more religious and eventually portraying idyllic village life
- Sandeep Sander (born 1957) the CEO of SanderMap GmbH Switzerland, brought up in Jyllinge
- Christine Antorini (born 1965 in Jyllinge) a Danish politician, former Minister of Education
- Mette Gjerskov (born 1966 in Jyllinge) a Danish politician, former Minister for Food, Agriculture and Fisheries
- Frank Hansen (born 1983) a retired Danish football defender, c.400 cub caps
- Mikkel Damsgaard (born 2000) a Danish football player who plays for FC Nordsjælland U19
- BEF44: Population 1st January, by urban areas database from Statistics Denmark
- "Jyllinge" (in Danish). Gyldendal. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Jyllinge Fiskerihavn" (in Danish). Kulturarv. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Jyllinge Fiskeexport" (in Danish). Kulturarv. Retrieved 2010406-22. Check date values in:
- "Jyllinge Kirke" (in Danish). Gyldendal. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Church of GRP composite". Fiberline. Retrieved 2010406-22. Check date values in: