Justin Lewis (media scholar)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Justin Lewis is professor of communication at the Cardiff School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies at Cardiff University. He returned to Britain in 2000, having worked for 12 years in the United States at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
|Occupation||Media studies professor, writer|
|Constructing Public Opinion|
He has written widely about media, culture and politics. Books include Constructing Public Opinion (New York: Columbia University Press, 2001), Citizens or Consumers: What the media tell us about political participation (Open University Press, 2005), and Shoot First and Ask Questions Later: Media Coverage of the War in Iraq (Peter Lang, in press). He is also the Series Editor for the list in Media and Culture for Peter Lang Publishers, and has produced edited collections for Blackwell's and Westview Press.
He has written articles for The Guardian, the Los Angeles Times, and The Boston Globe, and is a regular commentator on media, politics and cultural issues for regional and national US and UK media, including BBC Radio 5 Live, the Today programme, BBC TV News, The Independent, The Washington Post, the NBC Today Show, and National Public Radio. He has written and presented two videos: Getting The Message Across and Constructing Public Opinion for the Media Education Foundation.
- Art - Who Needs It?, co-authored with David Morley and Russell Southwood. London: Comedia, 1986.
- Art, Culture and Enterprise: the Politics of the Cultural Industries, London: Routledge, 1990.
- The Ideological Octopus: An Exploration of Television and its Audience, New York: Routledge, 1991.
- Enlightened Racism: The Cosby Show, Audiences and the Myth of the American Dream, co-authored with Sut Jhally. Boulder: Westview Press, 1992.
- Viewing, Reading, Listening: Essays in Cultural Reception, co- edited with Jon Cruz. Boulder: Boulder: Westview Press, 1994.
- Constructing Public Opinion, New York: Columbia University Press, 2001. Bookcover by Professor Justin Lewis
- Television Studies: The Key Concepts, co-authored with Bernadette Casey, Neil Casey, Ben Calvert and Liam French, London: Routledge, 2001.
- Cultural Policy: A Critical Reader, co-written and edited with Toby Miller, Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2002.
- Citizens or Consumers: The Media and the Decline of Political Participation, co-authored with Sanna Inthorn and Karin Wahl-Jorgensen, Open University Press, 2005.
- Shoot First and Ask Questions Later: Media Coverage of the War in Iraq, co-authored with Rod Brookes, Nick Mosdell and Terry Threadgold, Peter Lang, 2006.
- Television Studies: The Key Concepts, co-authored with Bernadette Casey, Neil Casey, Ben Calvert and Liam French, London: Routledge, 2001, 2nd edition, 2008.