Jose Rafael "Jumbo" Diaz (born February 27, 1984) is a Dominican professional baseball relief pitcher for the Toros de Tijuana of the Mexican League. He made his Major League Baseball (MLB) debut in 2014 with the Cincinnati Reds, and has also played for the Tampa Bay Rays. Diaz is nicknamed "Jumbo" for his large size; MLB.com lists him at 6 feet 4 inches (1.93 m) and 315 pounds (143 kg).
Díaz with the Tampa Bay Rays
|Toros de Tijuana – No. 57|
|Born: February 27, 1984|
La Romana, Dominican Republic
|June 20, 2014, for the Cincinnati Reds|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2017 season)
|Earned run average||4.02|
Los Angeles DodgersEdit
Díaz was signed by the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2001 and began his career the next season, appearing with the GCL Dodgers, South Georgia Waves and Great Falls Dodgers and going 5–3 with a 2.82 ERA in 16 games (12 starts). He saw limited action in 2003 with the Ogden Raptors and South Georgia, going 0–1 with a 6.62 ERA in seven games. He pitched for the Columbus Catfish and Vero Beach Dodgers in 2004 and went 1–5 with 20 saves and a 2.00 ERA in 37 games. He saw limited action in 2005, 2006 and 2007, appearing in a total of 36 games. Díaz had Tommy John surgery and missed all of the 2008 season.
Díaz signed with the Texas Rangers for 2009 and was 3–1 with 10 saves and a 3.63 ERA in 36 games for the Frisco RoughRiders. Following the season, the Rangers released him and he signed with the Baltimore Orioles, going 4–0 with 16 saves and a 1.92 ERA in 45 games. Díaz had 23 saves and a 2.62 ERA in 2011.
He then signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates for 2012 and went 1–2 with 3 saves and a 3.60 ERA in 41 games for the Indianapolis Indians. On April 29, he teamed with Justin Wilson and Doug Slaten on a no-hitter against the Durham Bulls.
The Reds selected Díaz's contract from Louisville on June 20, and he entered that night's game against the Toronto Blue Jays in the seventh inning, allowing three runs in one inning. On June 24, he recorded his first MLB strikeout in Chicago against the Cubs. He finished the 2014 season with a 3.38 earned run average (ERA) in 34 2⁄3 innings pitched. Díaz earned his first MLB save on September 15, 2015.
Tampa Bay RaysEdit
In March 2017, the Tampa Bay Rays claimed Díaz off waivers. He was designated for assignment on July 16. On July 19, Díaz was assigned outright to the Triple-A Durham Bulls, but he elected free agency on July 21.
On January 12, 2018, Diaz signed a minor league deal with the Miami Marlins. He elected free agency on November 2, 2018.
Toros de TijuanaEdit
- "Jumbo Diaz Stats, Highlights, Bio – Indianapolis Indians Stats". Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- "Reds' Jose 'Jumbo' Diaz could have breakout season". Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- "Cincinnati Reds pitcher Jose". Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- "Jumbo Diaz Minor & Winter Leagues Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com". Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- Sheldon, Mark (June 20, 2014). "Jumbo's journey to Majors culminates in Cincinnati". MLB.com. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Toronto Blue Jays at Cincinnati Reds Box Score, June 20, 2014 - Baseball-Reference.com". Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- "Jumbo Diaz". Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- "Todd Frazier homers in 10th as Reds hold off Giants 9–8". Fox Sports. September 16, 2015. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- Topkin, Marc (July 16, 2017). "Rays DFA Jumbo Diaz, promote Andrew Kittredge". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- Adams, Steve (July 31, 2017). "Astros, Jumbo Diaz Agree To Minors Deal". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved July 31, 2017.
- "Jumbo Díaz fortalecerá bullpen de Toros de Tijuana" (in Spanish). February 16, 2019. Retrieved February 16, 2019.