Julia Gnuse (guh-NOO-see), commonly known by the nickname The Illustrated Lady, born in 1955, had 95% of her body (including her face) covered in tattoos and held the Guinness Record for being the most tattooed woman in the world. In her mid 30s, Gnuse developed porphyria, a condition in which sunlight results in blistering of the skin. As the blisters often result in scarring, she began getting tattoos as a way to cover up the scars, which can get as deep as third degree burns. A friend of Gnuse's who was a plastic surgeon had suggested she get her skin tattooed in a pale skin tone color, similar to the color of her scars. This was attempted but didn't turn out the way they had hoped.
|The Illustrated Lady|
|Born||Julia Ann Gnuse
January 18, 1955
|Died||August 11, 2016(aged 61)|
|Residence||Foothill Ranch, Lake Forest, California|
|Known for||most tattooed woman in the world|
|Home town||Lewistown, Missouri|
The tattoos do not prevent the skin from blistering as they are purely aesthetic. Instead she decided to try colorful tattoos, consisting of a variety of themes including: her favorite cartoons, her favorite actors and even a self portrait. Gnuse has appeared on the tv show Ripley's Believe it or Not. She also had a small role in Aerosmith's music video for their song Pink.
In her last year she started to go through laser treatment to get all of her tattoos removed.
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, LONDON. "Amazing facts about tattoos". Retrieved 2007-05-16.
- Mark, Michelle. "Shock value". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-05-06.
- "HuffPost Weird News - Strange-But-True Stories from the Headlines". Aolnews.com. Archived from the original on 2010-06-20. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- Inked: Tattoos and Body Art around the World By Margo DeMello.p. 225
- Murphy, Victoria (2010-05-28). "Meet the most tattooed lady in the world". mirror. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- "Larry King Interviews Dean Cain". Larry King Live. Season 2. Episode 4. January 3, 2002. CNN. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- Addicted to ink: The world's most tattooed woman flaunts her body art
- Chick Ink: 40 Stories of Tattoos--And the Women Who Wear Them By Karen L. Hudson. p. 109
- Orange Coast Magazine May 1999. p. 28
- Tattoo Removal: Before and After Before and After - Tattoo Removal
- Julia Ann Gnuse | nemonews.net