|Mayor of Marbella|
Julián Muñoz Palomo
November 24, 1948
El Arenal (Ávila), Castile and Leon, Spain
|Political party||Independent Liberal Group|
He studied Law and married Maite Zaldívar. In 1991 he became an important member of the Independent Liberal Group (GIL), reaching the second place in the electoral list in 1999. In 2002, following the resignation of Jesús Gil due to his involvement in a corruption case, Muñoz took over the duties of the Mayor of Marbella until he officially obtained the post on May 2, 2002.
In 2003 the GIL, with Muñoz as their leader, obtained an absolute majority in the Marbella town council. On August 13 of that year, Muñoz lost the mayorship after a motion of censure driven by a group of seven defectors from GIL, after which Marisol Yagüe became the new mayor.
Muñoz was arrested in July 2006 in the second phase of Operation Malaya, in the most important case of corruption in Spain up to then. Muñoz was convicted for several cases of bribery, embezzlement and breach of trust. After nearly two years behind bars he was released from prison in 2008 but was arrested again in 2013 for other offenses related to Operation Malaya. Due to poor health stemming from his having Diabetes mellitus type 1 he is in a less restricted degree of incarceration since May, 2016.
- "Los ediles de Marbella votan hoy la investidura de Julián Muñoz como sustituto de Gil en la alcaldía". El País (in Spanish). Málaga: Prisa. 2 May 2002. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Rubio Rodríguez, Javier (25 May 2003). "El GIL vuelve a triunfar". El Mundo. Mundinteractivos, S.A. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Marisol Yagüe, nueva alcaldesa de Marbella tras prosperar la moción contra Julián Muñoz". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). 13 August 2003. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Julián Muñoz, condenado a 2 años de prisión en el caso Malaya". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). 4 October 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- EFE (6 May 2016). "Julián Muñoz cumplirá su tercer grado en el CIS de Algeciras". elmundo.es. Unidad Editorial. Retrieved 20 July 2019.
| Mayor of Marbella