Judith Lee MacKenzie Gersting (born August 20, 1940) is an American mathematician, computer scientist, and textbook author. She is a professor emerita of computer science at Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis and at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo.
Education and careerEdit
Gersting graduated from Stetson University in 1962, and completed a Ph.D. in mathematics in 1969 at Arizona State University. Her dissertation, Some Results on -Regressive Isols, concerned recursive function theory and was supervised by Matt Hassett.
After holding a faculty position in the department of mathematical sciences at Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) for ten years, and becoming a full professor there, she spent a year at the University of Central Florida before returning to IUPUI in 1981 as professor of mathematics and acting chair of the department of computer and information science. She came to the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo in 1990, and chaired the computer science department there for many years. After retiring from the University of Hawaiʻi, she became a part-time faculty member at IUPUI, before retiring from there as well.
Gersting's books include:
- Abstract Algebra: A First Look (with Joseph E. Kuczkowski, Marcel Dekker, 1977)
- The Metric System (with Elaine V. Alton, Cummings, 1977)
- Yes–No; Stop–Go: Some Patterns in Mathematical Logic (with Joseph E. Kuczkowski and Don Madden, Crowell, 1977)
- Mathematical Structures for Computer Science (W. H. Freeman, 1982; 7th ed., 2014)
- Technical Calculus with Analytic Geometry (Wadsworth, 1984; Dover, 1992)
- The Computer: History, Workings, Uses & Limitations (with Michael C. Gemignani, Ardsley House, 1988)
- The Programming Process with Pascal (West Publishing, 1989)
- Invitation to Computer Science (with G. Michael Schneider, West Publishing, 1995; 8th ed., Cengage, 2018)
- Visual Basic Programming: A Laboratory Approach (Computer Science Press, 1996)
The University of Hawaii system awarded Gersting the Regents’ Excellence in Teaching Award in 2006.
- Birth date from Library of Congress catalogy entry, retrieved 2021-03-09
- "Judith Gersting, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, Computer & Information Science", People Directory, IUPUI School of Science, retrieved 2021-03-09
- Dr. Judith Gersting, University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Computer Science & Engineering, retrieved 2021-03-09
- "Three directors named by board", Green Sheet, Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis, 11 (32): 1, 16 August 1981, hdl:2450/8512
- Judith Gersting at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- King, Amy C.; McCroskey, Rosemary (1976), "Woman Ph.D.'s in mathematics in USA and Canada: 1886–1973", Philosophia Mathematica, s1-13-14 (1): 79–129, doi:10.1093/philmat/s1-13-14.1.79
- "Gersting receives UH Regents' Excellence in Teaching Award", News and Events, University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, 18 May 2006, retrieved 2021-03-09
- Reviews of Abstract Algebra: T. W. Hungerford, MR0441596; D. Simson, Zbl 0354.00005
- Review of The Metric System: Loren C. Larson (1977), Amer. Math. Monthly, JSTOR 2321279
- "Outstanding science trade books for children in 1977", Science and Children, 15 (6): 27–30, March 1978, JSTOR 43161980
- Reviews of Mathematical Structures for Computer Science: Miklós Bóna (2012), MAA Reviews, ; Edward Dubinsky (1984), Amer. Math. Monthly, doi:10.2307/2322156, JSTOR 2322156; U.Klemm, Zbl 0649.68001; E. Keith Lloyd (1988), Math. Gaz., doi:10.2307/3618023, JSTOR 3618023; Anthony Ralston (1983), American Scientist, JSTOR 27852312
- Review of Technical Calculus with Analytic Geometry: Hung Dinh (1993), Amer. Math. Monthly, JSTOR 2324233
- Review of The Computer: Harold Borko, ACM Computing Reviews
- SIGCSE '02: Proceedings of the 33rd SIGCSE technical symposium on Computer science education, Association for Computing Machinery, 2002, doi:10.1145/563340, ISBN 978-1-58113-473-5