Juan José Sagarduy
Juan José Sagarduy (14 June 1941 – 4 October 2010) was a Spanish professional cyclist. His last victory as a professional was the Subida a La Reineta in 1967, after physical problems shortened his career. He was forced to retire early in 1969, after being unable to finish his final race at the Vuelta a Levante.
|Full name||Juan José Sagarduy Ayastru|
|Born||14 June 1941|
Zaratamo, Biscay, Spain
|Died||4 October 2010 (aged 69)|
Galdakao, Biscay, Spain
|1969||La Casera–Peña Bahamontes|
Sagarduy was born in Zaratamo on 14 June 1941 and died in Galdakao at the age of 69. A great climber of the sixties, his best season was in 1963, when he won the Subida a Arrate ahead of Federico Bahamontes and Jacques Anquetil, the Bicicleta Eibarresa and the GP Pascuas in Pamplona among other races. At the 1964 Tour del Porvenir, he won two stages and the mountains classification. He started his career with the Espumosos Gorbea team, followed by Kas–Kaskol and Karpy.
He died on 4 October 2010. His funeral was held on Wednesday October 6 at the church of San Pedro de Basauri at half past six in the afternoon.
His most notable result was his victory in the 1963 Euskal Bizikleta, where he also won the mountains classification and the 5th stage. In 1965 he was selected to ride in the Tour de France. He finished in 46th place. Within the national tests he took the podium in the third stage of the Vuelta a Mallorca and on the Ascent to La Reineta. He rode with Kas–Kaskol from 1963 until 1967, who were sponsored by a soft drink firm for two more years. He then signed for Karpy and retired from cycling in March 1969, after eight years as a professional.
- 1st G. P. Ayuntamiento de Bilbao
- 1st Overall Euskal Bizikleta
- 1st Stage 5
- 1st GP Pascuas
- 1st Stage 8 Vuelta a Andalucía
- 1st Stage 1 Circuito Montañés
- 1st Gran Premio de Llodio
- 2nd Subida a Urkiola
- 8th Overall Vuelta a Andalucia
- 9th Overall Tour de l'Avenir
- 1st Stages 6 & 7
- 1st Mountains classification
- 1st Points classification
Grand Tour resultsEdit
Tour de FranceEdit
- 1965: 46
Vuelta a EspañaEdit
- 1968: 41
- "Juan Jose SAGARDUY AYASTUY" (in Italian). museociclismo.it. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
- "Historic Overview Juan José Sagarduy". cyclingranking.com. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
- "Juan José Sagarduy Ayastru" (in Italian). sitodelciclismo.net. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
- "Juan José Sagarduy Ayastru" (in Spanish). sitiodeciclismo.net. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
- "Juan José Sagarduy Rider". procyclingstats.com. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
- "Fallece Juan José Sagarduy (Palmarés completo)". biciciclismo.com. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
- Juan José Sagarduy at Cycling Archives