Jovan Naumović (Leskovac, 11 November 1879 – Belgrade, 13 February 1945) was an Armijski đeneral[a] in the Royal Yugoslav Army who commanded the 3rd Territorial Army during the German-led Axis invasion of Yugoslavia of April 1941 during World War II. Naumović's command consisted of three infantry divisions and some smaller formations. The 3rd Territorial Army was part of the 3rd Army Group which was responsible for the border with Albania between Lake Ohrid to Lake Skadar, and the Romanian and Bulgarian borders between the Iron Gates and the Greek border.
Jovan Naumović in full dress uniform
|Born||11 November 1879|
Leskovac, Principality of Serbia
|Died||13 February 1945 (aged 65)|
|Allegiance||Kingdom of Yugoslavia|
|Service/||Royal Yugoslav Army|
|Commands held||3rd Territorial Army|
|Battles/wars||Invasion of Yugoslavia (1941)|
After graduating from the Military Academy in Belgrade, joined the Unification or Death organization. He fought as a Chetnik in Old Serbia against the Ottoman Turks (1904-1905) under the nom de guerre Vojvoda Osogovski.
Naumović was chief of staff of the 3rd Army in 1929. After that, he served as a brigade and divisional commander and has head of the gendarmerie. In September 1938 he was appointed to command the 5th Army at Niš.
- Bjelajac, Mile (2004). Generali i admirali Kraljevine Jugoslavije 1918–1941 : studija o vojnoj eliti i biografski leksikon [The Generals and Admirals of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, 1918–1941: A Study of the Military Elite and Biographical Lexicon] (in Serbian). Belgrade: Institut za noviju istoriju Srbije (Institute for the Recent History of Serbia). OCLC 607699124.
- Jarman, Robert L., ed. (1997c). Yugoslavia Political Diaries 1918–1965. 3. Slough, Berkshire: Archives Edition. ISBN 978-1-85207-950-5.
- U.S. Army (1986) . The German Campaigns in the Balkans (Spring 1941). Washington, D.C.: United States Army Center of Military History. OCLC 16940402. CMH Pub 104-4.
- Niehorster, Dr. Leo (2013a). "Royal Yugoslav Armed Forces Ranks". Dr. Leo Niehorster. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Niehorster, Dr. Leo (2013b). "Balkan Operations Order of Battle Royal Yugoslavian Army 3rd Territorial Army 6th April 1941". Dr. Leo Niehorster. Retrieved 20 May 2014.