Journal of Theoretical Biology
The Journal of Theoretical Biology is a biweekly peer-reviewed scientific journal covering theoretical biology, as well as mathematical, computational and statistical aspects of biology. Some research areas covered by the journal include cell biology, evolutionary biology, population genetics, morphogenesis, and immunology. It is often referred to informally by the initials 'JTB'.
|Edited by||Denise Kirschner, Yoh Iwasa, Lewis Wolpert|
|ISO 4||J. Theor. Biol.|
The journal was established in 1961. Its founding editor-in-chief was English biologist James F. Danielli, who remained editor until his death in 1984. Other notable founding members of the Editorial Board included Melvin Calvin, Barry Commoner, Christian De Duve, Daniel Mazia, Jacques Monod, Conrad Waddington, and John Zachary Young. The Journal of Theoretical Biology is published by Elsevier and, as of 2014[update], the editors-in-chief are Denise Kirschner (University of Michigan Medical School), Yoh Iwasa (Kyushu University), and Lewis Wolpert (University College London). According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2015 impact factor of 2.049.
Some of the most highly cited articles that have been published in the journal include:
- Hamilton, W.D. (1964). "The Genetical Evolution of Social Behaviour". Journal of Theoretical Biology. 7 (1): 17–52. doi:10.1016/0022-5193(64)90039-6. PMID 5875340., a classic paper dealing with inclusive fitness
- Zuckerkandl, E.; Pauling, L. (1965). "Molecules as documents of evolutionary history". Journal of Theoretical Biology. 8 (2): 357–366. doi:10.1016/0022-5193(65)90083-4. PMID 5876245., another classic paper, one of those which had set the stage for comparative molecular biology
- Zahavi, Amotz (1975). "Mate selection - a selection for a handicap". Journal of Theoretical Biology. 53 (1): 205–14. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.586.3819. doi:10.1016/0022-5193(75)90111-3. PMID 1195756.
- Kauffman, S.A. (1969). "Metabolic stability and epigenesis in randomly constructed genetic nets". Journal of Theoretical Biology. 22 (3): 437–67. doi:10.1016/0022-5193(69)90015-0. PMID 5803332.
- Maynard Smith, J. (1974). "The theory of games and the evolution of animal conflicts" (PDF). Journal of Theoretical Biology. 47 (1): 209–21. doi:10.1016/0022-5193(74)90110-6. PMID 4459582.