Joseph Arthur Rothschild (April 5, 1931 at Fulda, Germany – January 30, 2000 at New York City) was an American professor of history and political science at Columbia University, specializing in Central European and Eastern European history.
Rothschild was a member of the Academy of Political Science, the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies, the Polish Institute of Arts and Sciences of America, Phi Beta Kappa and American Professors for Peace in the Middle East (of which he was the national vice chairman in the years 1975-1990). From 1985 he was also a member of the Commission on International Affairs for the American Jewish Congress.
- The Communist Party of Bulgaria. New York: Columbia University Press. 1959. hdl:2027/mdp.39015005551562.
- Pilsudski's Coup D'État (1966)
- East Central Europe Between the Two World Wars. Seattle and London: University of Washington University Press. 1974 – via Internet Archive.
- Ethnopolitics: A Conceptual Framework. New York: Columbia University Press. 1981. ISBN 9780231052368 – via Internet Archive.
- Return to Diversity: A Political History of East Central Europe Since World War II (2nd ed.). New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press. 1993. ISBN 978-0-19-507381-2 – via Internet Archive.
- "Joseph A. Rothschild, 68, History Professor". The New York Times. January 31, 2000. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- Columbia College (Columbia University). Office of Alumni Affairs and Development; Columbia College (Columbia University) (1967–69). Columbia College today. Columbia University Libraries. New York, N.Y. : Columbia College, Office of Alumni Affairs and Development.CS1 maint: date format (link)
- Evory, Ann, ed. (1981). "Rothschild, Joseph 1931-". Contemporary Authors: A Bio-Bibliographical Guide to Current Writers in Fiction, General Nonfiction, Poetry, Journalism, Drama, Motion Pictures, Television, and Other Fields; New Revision Series. 3. Detroit, Michigan: Gale Research Company. p. 475. ISBN 0-8103-1932-2. Retrieved January 6, 2020 – via Internet Archive.
- Ira Katznelson, Joseph Rothschild, PS: Political Science and Politics, Vol. 34, No. 2 (Jun., 2001), pp. 344–345, Published by: American Political Science Association, JSTOR
- Joseph Rothschild, Expert on East Central Europe, Dead at 70, The Record, Columbia University’s official newspaper, Vol.25, No. 14, Feb. 11, 2000