José Gregorio Rondón Hidalgo (born March 3, 1994) is a Venezuelan professional baseball shortstop for the Chicago White Sox of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played for the San Diego Padres.
Rondón with the San Antonio Missions in 2016
|Chicago White Sox – No. 20|
|Born: March 3, 1994|
Villa de Cura, Aragua, Venezuela
|July 29, 2016, for the San Diego Padres|
|MLB statistics |
(through July 14, 2019)
|Runs batted in||24|
Rondón was signed by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim as an international free agent on January 13, 2011. He made his professional debut that season with the Dominican Summer League Angels. He started 2014 with the Inland Empire 66ers. In July he played in the All-Star Futures Game as an injury replacement for Carlos Correa.
On July 31, 2014, Rondón, along with Taylor Lindsey, R. J. Alvarez and Elliot Morris, was traded to the San Diego Padres for Huston Street and Trevor Gott. The Padres assigned him to the Lake Elsinore Storm.
Rondón was called up to the Major Leagues on July 29, 2016 & he made his Major League Debut that night as a Pinch Hitter for Edwin Jackson (baseball) Wearing #13. On January 6, 2018, he was designated for assignment by the Padres.
- "Cal notes: Rondon growing defensively". MiLB.com. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Rondon to replace injured Correa in Futures Game". Los Angeles Angels. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Angels bringing on Huston Street". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Fox Sports. "Angels acquire closer Street from Padres in six-player trade". FOX Sports. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "CAL LEAGUE NOTES: Rondon making a name for himself". Press Enterprise. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Josmil Pinto claimed off waivers by Padres". San Diego Padres. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- Byrne, Connor (January 6, 2018). "Padres Designate Jose Rondon". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved January 6, 2018.