Jonker JS-3 Rapture
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (August 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Role||High performance Sailplane|
|National origin||South Africa|
|First flight||12 December 2016|
The manufacturer is Jonker Sailplanes of Potchefstroom South Africa, founded in 2004 by two brothers, Attie and Uys Jonker. The structural and chief designer is Attie Jonker, while the airfoil and main aerodynamic features were developed by Johan Bosman in co-operation with the Delft University of Technology.
The first flight of the JS-3 was on 12 December 2016.
Design and developmentEdit
The JS3 is equipped with Tost nose and c.ofg. release hools, retractable main undercarriage leg with elastomeric shock absorbers, fixed pneumatic 180 mm (7.09 in) tail wheel with aluminium hub. A retractable 150 mm (5.91 in) tail wheel can be fitted in place of the fixed tailwheel. Provision is made to fit 2 x 12V LiFePo 7Ah/10Ah main batteries with fuse box in luggage compartment recessed battery boxes, accessible from cockpit. Conmmunications and navigation are improved through the use of a Goose-neck microphone, two independent speakers for radio, with antenna in the rudder and a navigation computer in the instrument panel.
- JS-3 Rapture 15m
- Version with 15 m (49 ft) wings
- JS-3 Rapture 18m
- Version with 18 m (59 ft) wings
Specifications (JS3 - RAPTURE 18m)Edit
Data from JS 3 Rapture 18m – Jonker Sailplanes
- Crew: one
- Length: 6.86 m (22 ft 6 in)
- Wingspan: 18 m (59 ft 1 in)
- Height: 1.22 m (4 ft 0 in)
- Aspect ratio: 32.8
- Empty weight: 280 kg (617 lb) without engine, 297 kg (655 lb) with engine
- Gross weight: 600 kg (1,323 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 430 kg (948 lb) without water ballast
- Maximum glide ratio: 55:1 at 120 km/h (75 mph; 65 kn) at MAUW
- Best glide speed at 450 kg (992 lb): 105 km/h (65 mph; 57 kn)
- Rate of sink: 0.49 m/s (96 ft/min) 1.43 m/s (5 ft/s) at 200 km/h (120 mph; 110 kn) at MAUW
- Wing loading: 37.0 kg/m2 (7.6 lb/sq ft) minimum, 60.36 kg/m2 (12 lb/sq ft) maximum
Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- "EASA approved – The JS3 Certification Journey – Jonker Sailplanes". jonkersailplanes.co.za.
- "JS 3 Rapture 18m – Jonker Sailplanes". jonkersailplanes.co.za. Archived from the original on 15 August 2019. Retrieved 15 August 2019.