Joint Special Operations University
The Joint Special Operations University (JSOU) is the designated agency within USSOCOM to conduct joint Special Operations Force (SOF) education and thus is tasked with and directed to provide relevant, realistic, leading-edge education opportunities to military and civilian special operations forces personnel around the world, located at MacDill Air Force Base, Florida, USA.
|Joint Special Operations University|
|Type||Special Operations education|
|Role||Educating Special Operations Forces executive, senior, and intermediate leaders and selected other national and international security decision-makers, both military and civilian, through teaching, research, and outreach in the science and art of Joint Special Operations.|
|Part of||United States Special Operations Command|
|Garrison/HQ||MacDill AFB, Florida|
Capable of full-spectrum joint SOF focused instruction, JSOU provides cohesive education support to SOF personnel, and other non-SOF decision makers at intermediate and senior levels. The university conducts off-station tutorials and courses as well as video teleconferencing instruction to supported units worldwide.
JSOU delivers unique SOF educational opportunities through residence and distance learning (and combined) courses. It also supports SOF curriculum within the service Professional Military Education schools both through liaisons and SOF chairs at most PME institutions. JSOU faculty are regularly called upon to teach SOF-related blocks of instruction at PME institutions across the country. Additionally, through their mobile training teams, they conduct educational events for countries all over the world on a wide range of subjects, including support to resistance, the strategic effects of SOF, and design.
Some of the notable courses the University offers include:
- Irregular Warfare Theory
- Inter-agency Collaboration Course
- Special Operations Intelligence Course (SOIC)
- Theater Special Operations Command Staff Education Course (TSEC)
- Theater Special Operations Command Staff Preparatory Course (TSPC)
- Special Operations Senior Enlisted Academy
- Advanced training for newly assigned staff officers and senior enlisted personnel
- Combating terrorism courses to inform the US special operations community, key civilians, and international special operations partners in the War on Terrorism.
- SOF Creative Problem Solving - Advanced and Executive