The Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board (JAMB) is a Nigerian entrance examination board for tertiary-level institutions. The board conducts entrance Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination for prospective undergraduates into Nigerian universities.The board is also charged with the responsibility to administer similar examinations for applicants to Nigerian public and private monotechnics, polytechnics, and colleges of educations. All of these candidates must have obtained the West Africa School Certificate, now West African Examinations Council, WAEC, or its equivalent, National Examination Council (Nigeria), NECO. It's also worthy to note that JAMB is different from Interim Joint Matriclation Board (IJMB) IJMB.
|Purpose||Admission into tertiary institution.|
The pioneer Registrar was Mr. Michael Saidu Angulu who served from inception in 1978 to 1986. The current registrar of Jamb is Professor Ishaq Oloyede who was appointed by president Muhammadu Buhari in August, 2016.
Jamb CBT (Computer Based Test) Centres are the various locations and centers in Nigeria approved by JAMB for the registration of the UTME examination. There are various JAMB CBT centers/locations in the 36 states in Nigeria including the Federal Capital Territory (Nigeria), FCT.
Every year, the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board conducts an examination that determines if a student will be admitted to higher education. A record of over 2.1 million candidates registered for the 2020 examination.
The Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination is only valid for a year and with grade range between 0-400. After the conduct of the year's examination, the board sit and deliberate on the cut-off mark for universities, polytechnics and colleges of education, with some institutions requiring higher marks.
- Kenneth Victor, Registrar
- "Ojerinde re-appointed JAMB registrar". Vanguard News. 9 April 2012.
- Verfasser, Omole, Victoria N. Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Post-UTME A Case Study of the Performance of Candidates of Medicine in Kaduna State University. ISBN 978-3-659-34363-6. OCLC 929993430.
|last=has generic name (help)
- "Varsities set irrelevant post-UTME questions and blame candidates for failing – Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, JAMB boss". The Punch.
- "michael saidu angulu - Opera News Nigeria". ng.opera.news. Retrieved 2022-03-18.
- "Buhari appoints new heads for 17 education agencies…names Oloyede JAMB registrar". Punch Newspapers. 2016-08-02. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "JAMB CBT centers/locations". Alluniversity Editor Team.
- "JAMB registers 2.1 million, warns varsities against portal admission". Punch Newspapers. 2020-02-25. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- Allschoolsinfo. "JAMB 2021 Registration Form Price, Starting Date, Closing Date & Exam Date". Retrieved 2021-04-01.
- "JAMB fixes cut off marks for universities, polytechnics, colleges of education | Premium Times Nigeria". 2017-08-22. Retrieved 2022-03-18.