John Waine KCVO (born 20 June 1930) was Bishop of Chelmsford from 1986 to 1996; and previously Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich from 1978 to 1986, Bishop of Stafford, 1975–1978. He also served as Clerk of the Closet from 1989 to 1997, and in retirement served as a lay member on the Press Complaints Commission.
|Bishop of Chelmsford|
|Diocese||Diocese of Chelmsford|
|Other posts||Clerk of the Closet|
Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich (1978–1986)
Bishop of Stafford
|Consecration||24 June 1975|
|Born||20 June 1930|
|Alma mater||University of Manchester|
Educated at Prescot Grammar School and the University of Manchester, he studied for ordination at Ridley Hall, Cambridge before embarking on an ecclesiastical career with a Curacy at St Mary's, West Derby(Liverpool). Incumbencies at Ditton, Southport and Kirkby in the same diocese followed before consecration to the episcopate on 24 June 1975 by Donald Coggan, Archbishop of Canterbury, at St Paul's Cathedral. He was translated to become Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich in November 1978, serving until he became Bishop of Chelmsford in 1986. Having become Bishop of Chelmsford shortly beforehand at the confirmation of his election, he was enthroned at Chelmsford Cathedral on 31 May 1986 and he retired on 30 April 1996. He received an honorary doctorate from the University of Essex. Waine was also the Prelate of the Venerable Order of Saint John until 24 June 2007.
- The Times, Wednesday, June 07, 1978; pg. 20; Issue 60321; col E Church news Next Bishop of St Edmundsbury
- Joins PCC Archived 2011-06-09 at the Wayback Machine
- Church web site Archived 2013-07-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Who's Who 1992 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3514-2
- "New suffragans consecrated". Church Times (#5863). 27 June 1975. p. 3. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 9 March 2016 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Brickie bishop". Church Times (#6040). 17 November 1978. p. 10. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 9 March 2016 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Bishop unafraid of size of new diocese". Church Times (#6434). 6 June 1986. p. 2. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 9 March 2016 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Marathon man to run diocese". Church Times (#6936). 19 January 1996. p. 1. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 9 March 2016 – via UK Press Online archives.
- University of Essex Citation[permanent dead link]
- Order of St John – Annual Report & Accounts 2007 Archived 2014-01-16 at the Wayback Machine
- "Petertide ordinations". Church Times (#6334). 6 July 1984. p. 4. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 22 June 2017 – via UK Press Online archives.
|Church of England titles|
| Bishop of Stafford
| Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich
| Bishop of Chelmsford
| Clerk of the Closet
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|