John Marshall (surgeon)
Portrait of John Marshall by Alphonse Legros
11 September 1818|
Ely, Cambridgeshire, England
1 January 1891 (aged 72)|
Belle Vue House, Chelsea, London, England
|Cause of death||probably bronchopneumonia|
Ely public cemetery|
|Alma mater||University College London|
|Occupation||Surgeon, teacher of anatomy|
|Spouse(s)||Ellen Rogers (1854–1891)|
|Children||Two sons, two daughters|
Early life and educationEdit
Regarding Marshall's skills as a teacher and lecturer, the opinions of his former students appear to have diverged. One of them, Sir Edward Albert Sharpey-Schafer, described him as "a good surgeon of the old school" and as "a good friend" for whom he had "great respect and liking" but also as an "uninspiring teacher" whose lectures were "desperately dull". However, another former student, Sir John Tweedy, strongly disagreed with Schafer and described Marshall's lectures as "informative and thought-awakening" and Marshall himself as "a cultured, critical and scientific surgeon, ever ready to try new paths and explore avenues of fresh knowledge".
- Sharpey-Schafer EA (10 November 1923). "Victor Horsley Lecture: The Late Prof. John Marshall, F.R.S.". The Lancet. 202 (5228): 1058. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(00)55686-4.
- Sharpey-Schafer EA (27 October 1923). "The First Victor Horsley Memorial Lecture on the Relations of Surgery and Physiology". The Lancet. 202 (5226): 915–922. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(01)07666-8.
- Tweedy J (3 November 1923). "Victor Horsley Lecture: The Late Prof. John Marshall, F.R.S.". The Lancet. 202 (5227): 1007–1008. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(01)29080-1.
- O'Connor WJ (1988). "Chapter 6: The only full-time physiologist – Sharpey at University College, London". Founders of British physiology: a biographical dictionary, 1820-1885. Manchester: Manchester University Press ND. pp. 88–89. ISBN 0-7190-2537-0.
- Boase F (1892). Modern English Biography: Containing Many Thousand Concise Memoirs of Persons who Have Died Since the Year 1850, with an Index of the most Interesting Matter. Truro: Netherton & Worth.
- Bynum WF (September 2004). "Marshall, John (1818–1891)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, online edition. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/18145. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
| Fullerian Professor of Physiology
Thomas Henry Huxley