John F. Kennedy High School (Sacramento, California)
|John F. Kennedy High School|
6715 Gloria Drive
|School district||Sacramento City Unified School District|
|Principal||David Van Natten|
|Number of students||2,230 (2016-17)|
|Student to teacher ratio||22.09|
|Color(s)||Forest Green & Gold|
|Athletic Conference||Metro Conference|
This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Adam Bernero - seven-year MLB pitcher
- La Vel Freeman - former MLB designated hitter
- Brotha Lynch Hung - Rapper and Community Activist
- Scott Moak - public address announcer of the Sacramento Kings
- Gift of Gab (Tim Parker) who is better known as part of the hip hop duo Blackalicious
- Eric Mar - San Francisco County Supervisor, former School Board Member, and Professor at San Francisco State University
- Geno Petralli - 12-year MLB catcher
- Michael Stewart - former NBA center who played for five teams
- Greg Vaughn - four-time MLB All-Star outfielder
- Cornel West - class of 1970, prominent African-American scholar and public intellectual
- Brandi Glanville - Reality TV personality featured on Bravo TV's The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, and NY Times best-selling author*
- Lawrence Frostad - class of 1985, 1992 Olympian Swimmer
Small Learning CommunitiesEdit
Health Education Law and Marines (HELM)Edit
Health Education Law and Marines is an SLC that focuses on preparing students for the education and medical fields. Through speakers, community, links and internship opportunities, students will have a myriad of opportunities to participate in related experiences. HELM also houses the Criminal Justice Academy; which has a partnership with the Sacramento Police Department and MCJROTC, where students are part of the Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officers Training Course.
Program in America and California Explorations (PACE)Edit
Program in America and California Explorations is a Small Learning Community (SLC) at John F. Kennedy High School, which focuses on academic excellence, culture and civic events, and community service. PACE students are required to complete 30 hours community service or volunteering hours to pass your PACE classes each semester, as well as Cultural and Civic events. Students are required to complete two field trips at the end of the year. PACE emphasizes California history and literature.
Manufacturing and Design (MaD)Edit
Manufacturing and Design provides opportunities for students interested in pursuing careers in engineering, automotive, and architecture fields with an emphasis on technical skills necessary to secure gainful employment. Business and college connections are valuable aspects of the program.
Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA)Edit
Visual and Performing Arts focuses on the core curriculum with an emphasis on music, drama, dance and art. Expressing one's creativity is important to being a well-rounded, successful member of society. VAPA encourages students to participant in events over the summer and throughout the school year.
- "John F. Kennedy High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved June 12, 2019.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090527011403/http://www.sacbee.com/1098/story/1879484.html. Archived from the original on 2009-05-27. Retrieved 2009-05-21. Missing or empty
- "La Vel Freeman Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 10, 2012.