John Duncan Cowley
John Duncan Cowley FLA (1897–1944) was Director of the School of Librarianship of the University of London from 1934 to 1944 and was the Goldsmiths' Librarian in 1944. He joined the RAFVR in 1940 and was a Squadron Leader at the time of his death.
Cowley is the author of A Bibliography of Abridgments, Digests, Dictionaries, and Indexes of English Law to the Year 1800, which was published by the Selden Society in London in 1932. It is "valuable" and "thoroughly commendable". The Use of Reference Material: An Introductory Manual for Librarianship Students and Assistants was published by Grafton in London in 1937, and Training for Librarianship in the United States was published by the University of London in 1938. Bibliographical Description and Cataloguing was published in octavo in 1939 by Grafton in London. It was reprinted in 1970 as number 341 in the Burt Franklin bibliography and reference series. Matter in the book continued to be of interest in 1972, despite its age.
- "Cowley, John Duncan", Who Was Who, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 1920–2015; online edition, Oxford University Press, April 2014.
- Hart, E P (ed). "Cowley, John Duncan" in Merchant Taylors' School Register, 1851-1920. Merchant's Taylors' Company. 1923. Page 408. Google Books
- The Library World: 47 (535) 49. October 1944. Google Books.
- The School Librarian. 5 October 1944. Page 121. Vols 3-4, Google Books.
- The Library Association Record. 9 September 1944. Page 172. Google Books:  
- "The late Squadron Leader J. D. Cowley". The Librarian and Book World. 1944. Vols 33-34. Page 145. Google Books:  
- The Library World. 1966. Vols 67-68. Page 134. Google Books.
- The Year's Work in Librarianship. Volume 12. Library Association. 1949. Page 203. Google Books.
- Thomas Kelly. A History of Public Libraries in Great Britain 1845-1965. Library Association. 1973. Page 332. Google Books.
- Milne, A T. Librarianship and Literature: Essays in Honour of Jack Pafford. A & C Black. p 4.
- MacDonald and Broughton (eds). Annual Bibliography of English Language & Literature. Cambridge University Press. 1952. Volume 22 (1941). Page 3. Serjeantson and Broughton (eds). Volume 18 (1937). Published 1939. Page 10.
- Marke J J. A Catalogue of the Law Collection at New York University. New York University Law Library. 1953. p 1193.
- Sir William Searle Holdsworth. A History of English Law. Methuen & Co Ltd. Sweet & Maxwell. 1966. Volume 12. Page 175. Google Books.
- Beale, J H (1932) 46 Harvard Law Review 180 JSTOR Google Books.
- For other reviews of this book, see Hicks, Frederick C (1932) 42 Yale Law Journal 299 JSTOR Yale Law School; Dobie, Armistead M (1933) 19 ABA Journal 355 JSTOR; S E T (1932) 32 Columbia Law Review 1275 JSTOR; "Book Reviews", Bulletin of the Institute of Historical Research, Vols 11-13, p 110 Google Books; (1932) 174 The Law Times 154 Google Books.
- For a review of this book, see the Times Literary Supplement, 24 April, p 312
- Google Books. Snippet view.
- Google Books: Snippet view.
- Kent and Lancour. "Descriptive Bibliography" in Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science. CRC Press. 1972. Volume 7. p 1.
- Reviews of this book: W W Greg (1940) 35 Modern Language Review 221 JSTOR; Sidney Kramer (1941) 11 Library Quarterly 114 JSTOR.
- UCL. Calendar. 1950. p 438. Google Books.