John Armato (born June 13, 1948) is an American Democratic Party politician. A resident of Buena Vista Township, he has represented the 2nd Legislative District in the New Jersey Assembly since 2018, replacing Chris A. Brown, who relinquished his seat to run successfully for a seat in the New Jersey Senate.
|Member of the New Jersey Assembly|
from the 2nd Legislative District
|Assumed office |
January 9, 2018
Serving with Vince Mazzeo
|Preceded by||Chris A. Brown|
|Born||June 13, 1948|
|Residence||Buena Vista Township, New Jersey|
|Website||Legislative web page|
A life-long resident of Buena Vista Township, Armato served in the United States Air Force from 1967 to 1971. He has worked as an HVAC mechanic. Before being elected to the Assembly, Armato served for three years on the Township Committee of Buena Vista Township.
With Republican Party Chris A. Brown leaving the Assembly to run for Senate in the November 2017 general election, Armato (with 25,683 votes; 26.6%) and his running mate, incumbent Vince Mazzeo (with 27,601; 28.6%), defeated Republican challengers Vince Sera (20,814; 21.5%) and Brenda Taube (20,611; 21.3%) to win both Assembly seats from the district for the Democrats.
Armato serves in the Assembly on the Commerce and Economic Development Committee; the Health and Senior Services Committee; and the Military and Veterans' Affairs Committee.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 2nd District for the 2018-2019 Legislative Session are:
- Legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 16, 2018.
- "Armato Takes Oath of Office to Begin Serving as 2nd District’s Newest Assemblyman", Insider NJ press release dated January 9, 2018. Accessed January 16, 2018.
- Hetrick, Christian. "Brown Beats Bell, Snatching a Senate Seat from Democrats", New York Observer, November 7, 2017. Accessed January 16, 2018. "Despite Brown’s victory, Democrats retained both Assembly seats. Assemblyman Vince Mazzeo (D-Atlantic) hung onto his seat and his running mate, John Armato, won the other. Armato is a Buena Vista Township committeeman and U.S. Air Force veteran. Mazzeo had 28 percent of the vote and Armato had 26 percent. They beat Republicans Vince Sera and Brenda Taube."
- Official List Candidates for General Assembly For General Election 11/07/2017 Election, New Jersey Department of State, dated November 29, 2017. Accessed January 16, 2018.
- Legislative Roster 2018-2019 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 16, 2018.
- District 2 Legislators, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 16, 2018.
|New Jersey General Assembly|
Chris A. Brown
| Member of the New Jersey General Assembly for the 2nd District
January 9, 2018 – present
With: Vince Mazzeo