Joel Chadabe (born 1938) is a composer, author, and internationally recognized pioneer in the development of interactive music systems. He earned a BA from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, then earned his MM at Yale while studying under Elliott Carter. His students include Liz Phillips, Richard Lainhart, and David A. Jaffe. He designed the CEMS (Coordinated Electronic Music Studio), built by Robert Moog, in 1967. He was the president of Intelligent Music, "one of the several companies that distribute software and hardware for interactive composing," from 1983 to 1994. The Electronic Music Foundation was founded in 1994 by Chadabe. Chadabe was the curator at New York sound gallery Engine 27 in 2000-01. Chadabe was given the SEAMUS Lifetime Achievement Award in 2007. In a 2013 interview with Peter Shea, Chadabe discussed a variety of topics, ranging from the history of electronic music to his own work processes.
- Chadabe, Joel (1997). Electric Sound: The Past and Promise of Electronic Music. ISBN 978-0-13-303231-4.
- Chadabe, Joel (1975). "The Voltage-controlled Synthesizer", The Development and Practice of Electronic Music (Jon H. Appleton and Ronald Perera, eds.). ISBN 978-0-13-207605-0.
- Joel Chadabe (2005). "iFiddle Therefore I Am..." ACO. Retrieved October 14, 2006. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- After Some Songs (1995). Deep Listening CD 001.
- Chadabe, Joel and Eisenman, David (2007). Musicworks, Issues 97-99, p.43. Music Gallery.
- Joel Chadabe bio, Chadabe.com.
- "Composer Profiles: Joel Chadabe", Kalvos.org.
- "Activities as Music", Retiary.org.
- "Music Technology: People: Joel Chadabe", NYU Steinhardt.
- "Lovely Artist: Biography: Joel Chadabe", Lovely.com.
- "Joel Chadabe", CDeMusic.com.
- Zicarrelli 1987 cited in Roads, Curtis (1992). The Music Machine, p.65. ISBN 978-0-262-68078-3.
- "EMF History Archived 2008-04-20 at the Wayback Machine", emf.org.
- Chadabe, Joel (April 22, 2007). "About Ear to the Earth", EartotheEarth.org.
- "Joel Chadabe[permanent dead link]", IntermediaMFA.org.
- Chadabe, Joel (April 1, 2001 12:00 PM). "The Electronic Century Part III: Computers and Analog Synthesizers", EMusician.com.