Joel 2:25 International
Joel 2:25 International, Inc. ("Joel 2:25") is an ex-gay ministry.
"I will restore to you the years which the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter." - Joel 2:25
|Headquarters||P.O. Box 795471 Dallas, Texas 75379|
|Services||network of in-person and online support groups, video-conferencing, and referrals|
|English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, German, Russian, Arabic, Persian, Polish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Croatian, Macedonian, Japanese, and Chinese|
Verse 2:25 from the Biblical Book of Joel states: "I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter. The great army sent among you." The organization's website states:
In Joel 2:25, "The hopper, the destroyer, the great cutter, and great army” depict successive waves of scourge after scourge... For many of us, the relational wounds and brokenness underlying homosexuality have destroyed multiple years and caused relational wounds that made recovery and healthy affirmation difficult to take-in. God’s promise in Joel 2:25 implies a 'recompense.' He can give us fruitful YEARS as a compensation for those in which the locust ate up the fruits of the earth. This means far more than sexual sobriety and abstinence. It is a healing of emotional wounds and relational brokenness; development of true identity as men of God, fulfillment of needs, and multiple fruitful years of mission and purpose that lead to Joy."
Formation and activitiesEdit
Joel 2:25 was incorporated in the state of Texas on November 26, 2013 as a non-profit organization. Joel 2:25 holds local in-person meetings in Dallas, Texas and other major US cities; holds daily, weekly, and monthly international video conferences; and hosts guest speakers that have included Joseph Nicolosi of the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH) and other leaders from the Restored Hope Network, and the International Healing Foundation.[better source needed]
Joel 2:25 supports individual freedom of conscience for all, but believes that sexual purity is a life and death matter: "Sexual holiness for Christians matters to such an extent that living an unrepentant sexually immoral life can get even self-professed Christians excluded from the kingdom of God. (Matthew 5:29-30; John 8:11 with 5:14; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8; Galatians 5:19-21; 1 Corinthians 5; 6:9-10, 13-20; 2 Corinthians 12:21; Romans 1:23-32; Colossians 3:5-7; Ephesians 4:19; 5:3-6; 1 Timothy 1:9-11.)"
Joel 2:25 received increased media attention and scrutiny when it was revealed that the organization's founder, Jeremy Schwab, had authored the platform amendment for the 2014 Republican Party of Texas platform to protect the right of access to reparative therapy.
- "Meet the 'Ex-Gay' Man Behind the Texas GOP's Reparative Therapy Plank". The Texas Observer. June 11, 2014.
- Holy Bible, Book of Joel, verse 2:25
- "Joel 2:25 International". Joel 2:25 International.
- "Exempt Organizations Select Check". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Details about". apps.irs.gov.
- "Joel 2:25 International - Beliefs about Christianity and Homosexuality". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Brittany Martin, "Texas Republicans’ backing puts spotlight on therapy for gays", Dallas Morning News, 06/20/2014 "Texas Republicans' backing puts spotlight on therapy for gays - Dallas Morning News". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- John Wright, "Meet the Ex-Gay Man Behind the Texas GOP’s Reparative Therapy Plank", Texas Observer, 06/11/2014 "Meet the 'Ex-Gay' Man Behind the Texas GOP's Reparative Therapy Plank". The Texas Observer. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- James Withers, "Ex-gay advocate defends Texas Republican support of conversion therapy", Gay Star News, 06/22/2014
- Bud Kennedy, "Texas GOP’s ‘gay therapy’ stand misunderstood, author says", Fort Worth Star Telegram, 06/10/2014"Texas GOP's 'gay therapy' stand misunderstood, author says - Bud Kennedy..." Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- WFAA Staff, 5:31 p.m. CDT June 20, 2014 (20 June 2014). "Reparative therapy platform plank misunderstood, Republican delegate says". Retrieved 8 September 2014.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Joel Admin. "My Journey: Texas GOP Reparative Therapy Platform Plank". Retrieved 8 September 2014.