Joseph H. "Joe" Hilley (born June 29, 1956) is a New York Times Best Selling author. He was born in Birmingham, Alabama and grew up on the Gulf Coast in the town of Grand Bay, Alabama. He is a graduate of Asbury College, Asbury Theological Seminary, and Cumberland School of Law at Samford University.
Hilley began writing at night while practicing law as a criminal defense attorney. After completing two unpublished manuscripts, he quit the practice of law to concentrate on writing full-time. His first book, Sober Justice (David C. Cook), a legal thriller, was published in 2004. Four more books followed. The novels, which feature a down-and-out attorney named Mike Connolly, became popular in the Southeast, especially along the Gulf Coast where the stories are set.
In 2008, Hilley was tapped to write a leadership biography of former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. That book, entitled Sarah Palin: A New Kind of Leader (Zondervan), reached The New York Times Best Seller list during the final two weeks of the 2008 Presidential Election campaign.
Hilley's novels include Sober Justice, Double Take, Electric Beach, Night Rain, The Deposition, What The Red Moon Knows, and The Legend of Dell Briggers - A Novella and Two Short Stories. In addition, his short story, Edgar's List, was included in the 2006 anthology Heartwarming Christmas Stories.
His nonfiction works include Sarah Palin: A New Kind of Leader The Walk, which he co-wrote with former NFL running-back Shaun Alexander, and Desert Rose: The Life and Legacy of Coretta Scott King, which he wrote with Edythe Scott Bagley, sister of civil rights leader Coretta Scott King.
- Hubbell, Martindale (April 1995). The Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, Volumes 1-9; Volume 11; Volume 13; Volumes 15-17. Martindale-Hubbell. ISBN 9781561601127.
- Addendum (Alabama Bar Association), August 2004, p.7
- "Alumnus' biography of Sarah Palin hits NYT bestseller list". Asbury College. Archived from the original on 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2009-10-25.
- Cumberland Lawyer (Cumberland School of Law), Winter 2009, p. 34
- Amazon.com: Sober Justice
- Moyar, Mark (2008-10-18). "Sarah Palin: Principles On A Pitbull,". New York Post.
- Pierce, Phil (2008-10-18). "Former Birmingham Attorney Pens Bio on Sarah Palin". Birmingham News.
- "Best Selling Paperback Books". Publishers Weekly. March 23, 2009.
- "New Book Explores Gov. Palin's Career, Faith, Fox News, October 7, 2008". October 7, 2008.
- "Library Journal, Spiritual Living Reviews". Library Journal. October 1, 2010. Archived from the original on 5 September 2012. Retrieved 3 June 2011.
- "Catalog Entry for Desert Rose: The Life and Legacy of Coretta Scott King". University of Alabama Press. Retrieved 25 April 2012.