This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Joe Buscaino is an American politician, currently serving on the Los Angeles City Council for the 15th district. Buscaino was elected on January 17, 2012 to fill the vacancy left by Janice Hahn, following her successful bid for the U.S. House of Representatives. He is a member of the Democratic Party. He was re-elected on March 5, 2013 to a full four-year term with 83.09% of the vote, the largest margin of victory since at least 1996 for a Los Angeles city council race in which more than one candidate was listed on the ballot.. On March 7, 2017, Buscaino won re-election with 74.85% of the vote.
Buscaino in 2011
|Member of the Los Angeles City Council from the 15th district|
January 31, 2012
|Preceded by||Janice Hahn|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||California State University, Dominguez Hills (B.A.)|
Following his election, Buscaino was appointed by the city council president to serve as chairman of the Public Works Committee. The committee has oversight of the Department of Public Works, and its Bureaus of Sanitation, Street Services, Street Lighting, Engineering, and Contract Administration. The Department of Public Works is the city’s third largest department and has a staff of more than 5,000 employees, who are responsible for the construction, renovation, and operation of City facilities and infrastructure. The department also installs sewers, constructs storm drains, and builds the city’s streets, as well as public buildings, rights-of-way and service facilities.
Other committee assignments include Public Safety, which includes the LAPD, LAFD and Emergency Management; Trade, Commerce & Tourism, which includes the Port of LA, Los Angeles World Airports and the LA Convention Center; and Information Technology and General Services, which includes the General Services Department, Information Technology Department and Los Angeles City Clerk’s office.
- Arts, Parks, Health, Aging & River
- Public Safety (Vice Chair)
- Public Works & Gang Reduction (Chair)
- Trade, Commerce & Tourism (Vice Chair)
- Ad Hoc on Special Olympics 
Prior to his election to the City Council, Buscaino served as a police officer for 15 years with the Los Angeles Police Department. His assignments included the Office of the Chief of Police, West Traffic Division, Emergency Operations Division and senior lead officer for the Harbor area. He created the LAPD’s Teen Community Police Advisory Board, an organization that works with teens to problem solve and bridge the barriers between police and teenagers. The program was implemented citywide in 2011.
Buscaino has lived in the 15th Council District all his life. He is a first-generation Italian-American, whose parents emigrated from Italy over 40 years ago. Buscaino graduated cum laude, with a B.A. in communication from California State University, Dominguez Hills. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Harbor Area, the San Pedro YWCA’s Racial Justice Committee and the Advisory Council for the Los Angeles Watts Summer Games. He is a member of Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church and is active in select Italian-American organizations.
- Aron, Hillel (18 January 2012). "Joe Buscaino Beats Warren Furutani for Los Angeles City Council District 15: A Humiliating 2012 Thumping of the Party Establishment". LA Weekly. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "3/5/13 Local Elections". Past Endorsements. Los Angeles County Democratic Party. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "Certified Results 2013 Primary Nominating Election" (PDF) (Press release). City of Los Angeles Office of the City Clerk- Election Division. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "About Us". Department of Public Works Los Angeles. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "About ITA". Los Angeles Information Technology Agency. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "Los Angeles City Council Committee Assignments" (PDF). 1 May 2015. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- Chamberlain, Bob. "Joe Buscaino- District 15". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "LAPD Harbor Division Teen CPAB to be Honored by City Council" (Press release). Los Angeles Police Department. 11 July 2008. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- Simonetti, Silvia (11 June 2015). "The Italian American community of L.A. proudly celebrated the National Republic Day". L’Italo-Americano. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "Full Biography for Giuseppe "Joe" Buscaino". SmartVoter.org. 17 January 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2015.