Cardinal Marquis of Almenara
This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Joaquín Fernández de Portocarrero y Mendoza, 4th Marquis of Almenara, 9th Count of Palma del Río (27 March 1681 – 22 June 1760) was a Grandee of Spain who served Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor as Viceroy of Sicily and interim Viceroy of Naples, before entering the priesthood in his late forties and rising to the rank of cardinal, ending his life as Cardinal-Bishop of Sabina.
Cardinal Marquis of Almenara, Count of Palma del Río
|Born||27 March 1681|
|Died||22 June 1760 (aged 79)|
|Occupation||Spanish military officer; Roman Catholic prelate; Cardinal-Bishop of Sabina-Poggio Mirteto|
He was born in Madrid, Spain as son of Luis Antonio Tomas de Portocarrero and Maria Leonor of Moscoso. In his twenties and thirties, he conducted military campaigns for King Philip V of Spain. He served Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor as Viceroy of Sicily from 1722 to 1728 and interim Viceroy of Naples from July–December 1728. He was Spanish Ambassador in Rome from 1746 to 1760, on behalf of King Ferdinand VI of Spain.
He was ordained into the priesthood on 17 January 1730. On 25 May 1735 he was appointed the Latin Patriarch of Antioch, and on 30 May he was ordained a bishop. On 9 September 1743, he was elevated to cardinal, and appointed Cardinal-Priest of Santi Quattro Coronati. He was subsequently appointed Cardinal-Priest of Santa Cecilia in Trastevere on 10 April 1747, and then Cardinal-Priest of Santa Maria in Trastevere on 9 April 1753.
He died in Rome in 1760. No issue, titles passed to Aragonese family connected Pedro "Fernandez de Hijar" y "Abarca de Bolea" (1741–1808), Grandee of Spain, 9th Duke of Hijar, 9th Duke of Lecera, 5th Duke of Bournonville and many other lesser titles.
- Profile, taktos.net; accessed 3 March 2015.[dead link]
- Profile, blasoneshispanos.com; accessed 3 March 2015.
- Profile, chde.org; accessed 3 March 2015.
- Bogdan Pietrzyk. "Francisco Fernandez de Portocarrero y Mendoza". wladcy.myslenice.net.pl. Retrieved 3 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Latin Patriarchs of Antioch and Alexandria". friesian.com. Archived from the original on 18 January 2009. Retrieved 3 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "BIBLIOTECA ASASVE DE DATOS HISTÓRICOS". asasve.es. Archived from the original on 21 September 2010. Retrieved 3 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)[not specific enough to verify]
- David M. Cheney. "Cardinal de Portocarrero profile". catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 3 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)[self-published source?]
- "The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church - Biographical Dictionary - Consistory of 9 September 1743". 2.fiu.edu. Retrieved 3 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "grandesp.org.uk". grandesp.org.uk. Retrieved 3 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)[not specific enough to verify]