Joan Henley (September 2, 1904 – February 10, 1986) was an Irish actress and radio presenter. She was active on the London stage since at least 1927 in inguenue roles and appeared there throughout the 1930s. Her first film role was a supporting part in Purse Strings in 1933. She had a career of over 50 years in film and television, but her appearances were seldom and mostly small because she concentrated on the stage and her private life. She is probably best known for her role as the friendly spinster Teresa Alan in the Oscar-winning romance film A Room with a View, which was released less than a year before her death.
|Born||September 2, 1904|
|Died||10 February 1986 (aged 81)|
|Years active||(at least) 1927-1986|
Joan Henley married Bruce Belfrage in 1930 and they had a son, Julian Belfrage, who became an actor's agent. After her divorce from Belfrage, she was married with author Laurence Meynell from 1956 until her death.
- Purse Strings (1933) as Ida Bentley
- Charley's Aunt (1938 TV movie) as Donna Lucia
- School for Randle (1949) in a minor role
- Reluctant Heroes (1951) in a minor role
- The Common Room (1959 TV series, one episode)
- Peridot Flight (1960 TV series, three episodes)
- The Reckoning (1970) as Mrs. Reynolds
- The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes (1971 TV series, one episode)
- Follow Me! as Dinner Guest
- Hadleigh (1973 TV series, one episode)
- Dial M for Murder (1974 TV series, one episode)
- Days of Hope (1975 TV mini series, one episode)
- Armchair Thriller (1978 TV series, one episode)
- The Thirty Nine Steps (1978) as Lady Nettleship
- A Room with a View (1985) as Miss Teresa Alan
- The Good Doctor Bodkin-Adams (1986 TV movie) as Mrs. Morrell
- Shades of Love: Sincerely, Violet (1987) as Maggie
- "Actress and radio presenter, Joan Henley, the voice of the programme,..." Getty Images. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "The Illustrated London News". Illustrated London News & Sketch Limited. 28 March 2019 – via Google Books.
- Wearing, J. P. (15 May 2014). "The London Stage 1930-1939: A Calendar of Productions, Performers, and Personnel". Rowman & Littlefield – via Google Books.
- "Julian Belfrage". IMDb.
- Maxford, Howard (17 December 2018). "Hammer Complete: The Films, the Personnel, the Company". McFarland – via Google Books.