This article needs to be updated.(May 2017)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)
Jingle is an extension to the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) which adds peer-to-peer (P2P) session control (signaling) for multimedia interactions such as in Voice over IP (VoIP) or videoconferencing communications. It was designed by Google and the XMPP Standards Foundation. The multimedia streams are delivered using the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP). If needed, NAT traversal is assisted using Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE).
As of December 2009[update], the proposed Jingle specification had not yet been approved by the XMPP Standards Foundation, but is now a Draft Standard, meaning: "Implementations are encouraged and the protocol is appropriate for deployment in production systems, but some changes to the protocol are possible before it becomes a Final Standard."
The libjingle library, used by Google Talk to implement Jingle, has been released to the public under a BSD license. It implements both the current standard protocol and the older, pre-standard version.
Clients supporting JingleEdit
- Asterisk PBX[note 1]
- Coccinella[note 1]
- Conversations (software)
- Empathy (using Telepathy framework)
- Gajim from 0.14 (not on Windows yet)
- Google Talk for Gmail, Android,[note 2] Windows[note 1][note 2]
- iChat for Apple OS X
- Jitsi (multiplatform support using Java)
- KDE Telepathy (using Telepathy framework)
- Miranda IM (via JGTalk plugin)
- Monal IM-Client for iOS
- Psi[note 1]
- QIP Infium
- Yate/YateClient supports Jingle in both client and server mode, audio and file transfer, also call transfer and DTMF.
Though not an instant messaging client, RemoteVNC uses Jingle as one of the screen sharing means.
- Doesn't support video chat.
- Currently supports only older, pre-standard version.
- "Clients", Software, XMPP.
- XEP, XMPP.
- "Libjingle", Code.
- Coccinella: Instant Messaging Program with Whiteboard.
- "Voice over IP (VoIP)", Questions, Coccinella.
- "Does Empathy support audio & video chat?", Empathy FAQ, Gnome.
- Features (list), Jitsi.
- "FAQ", Community, KDE.
- "Use", Kopete, Zugaina,
Jingle functionality (voice only) can be enabled/disabled in Kopete. The old KDE Wiki statement about it not working is outdated.
- Forums, Miranda IM, archived from the original on 2007-10-10.