Jimmy Staten IV (born May 4, 1991) is an American football defensive end who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played college football at Middle Tennessee.
|Born:||May 4, 1991|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||311 lb (141 kg)|
|High school:||Waycross (GA) Ware County|
|NFL Draft:||2014 / Round: 5 / Pick: 172|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
High school careerEdit
Staten attended Ware County High School in Waycross, Georgia. In the 2008 season, his senior year, he amassed 87 tackles, as well as lettering in track and field and making the shot put state finals. He earned all-state honors (and All-Region 2-AAAA) his junior and senior years. He received scholarship offers from seven D-1 schools, including Auburn, Clemson, and South Carolina, but ultimately decided to play for Rick Stockstill and the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders.
After redshirting the 2009 season, he played in 13 games in the 2010 season, playing 189 snaps. He had 5 tackles. The following season, Staten was given more playing time. He started in all 12 games, and in 615 snaps he racked up 29 tackles, 4 tackles for loss and a sack. While starting all 12 games in the 2012 season, Staten finished the year with 36 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, a sack and a QB hurry in 535 snaps.
In 2013, Staten was voted the team captain for the Blue Raiders. In his 12 games and 467 snaps, he recorded 30 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, a pass breakup and two QB hurries in his final season. He earned All-Conference USA honorable mention honors after the season.
After being projected as a seventh round pick or free agent, Staten was selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the fifth round (172nd overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft. Staten was sitting in his college graduation ceremony at Murphy Center when he received the phone call from Seattle indicating that they were going to draft him.
Staten was signed to a rookie contract with Seattle on May 16, 2014. On August 17, 2015, he was waived by the Seahawks.
New York GiantsEdit
New England PatriotsEdit
On September 7, 2015, the New England Patriots signed Staten to their practice squad. On September 16, 2015, he was released by the Patriots.
Kansas City ChiefsEdit
On September 30, 2015, Staten was signed to the Kansas City Chiefs' practice squad. On January 18, 2016, the Chiefs signed Staten to a future/reserve contract. On September 3, 2016, he was released by the Chiefs.
On September 14, 2016, Staten was signed to the Bears' practice squad. He was promoted to the active roster on November 19, 2016 but was released two days later and re-signed to the practice squad. He was released on December 27, 2016.
On January 17, 2017, Staten was signed to the Falcons' practice squad. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Falcons on February 7, 2017. On April 26, 2017, Staten was waived the Falcons.
- "C-USA Announces Football All-Conference Teams" (PDF). CBS Sports. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "Jimmy Staten". nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Condotta, Bob (May 10, 2014). "Seahawks take DT Jimmy Staten with pick No. 172 of fifth round during his college graduation UPDATED". The Seattle Times. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Dybas, Todd (May 10, 2014). "Seahawks select DT Jimmy Staten in fifth round". The News Tribune. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- "MTSU lineman stops graduation with pick by Seahawks". WBIR.com. May 11, 2014. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- Wilkening, Mike (May 16, 2014). "Seahawks sign three rookies, including Jimmy Staten". Pro Football Talk. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Eisen, Michael (September 1, 2015). "New York Giants announce first round of roster cuts". Giants.com. Archived from the original on September 18, 2017. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Paylor, Terez A. (September 30, 2015). "Chiefs add defensive lineman Jimmy Staten to practice squad". The Kansas City Star. Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- "NFL Transactions: Monday 1/18 - NFL Trade Rumors -". NFL Trade Rumors -. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- "Chiefs Down to NFL Mandated Roster Limit". Chiefs.com. September 3, 2016. Archived from the original on November 26, 2017.
- Mayer, Larry. "Bears add Staten to practice squad". ChicagoBears.com.
- Kolodziej, Alex (November 19, 2016). "Bears sign Jimmy Staten to active roster, waive De'Vante Bausby". fanragsports.com.
- "Bears Waived DT Jimmy Staten". November 21, 2016.
- Mayer, Larry (November 23, 2016). "Bears re-sign Fales, put Miller on IR". ChicagoBears.com.
- Chambers, Matthew (January 17, 2017). "Falcons place Adrian Clayborn on IR, promote DL Joe Vellano". TheFalcoholic.com.
- Choate, Dave (February 8, 2017). "Falcons sign several players to future contracts for 2017". TheFalcoholic.com.
- "Falcons waive defensive tackle Staten". AJC.com. April 26, 2017.
- Wyatt, Jim (May 15, 2017). "Titans Add Five to Roster, Including MTSU's Jimmy Staten". TitansOnline.com.
- Wyatt, Jim (September 2, 2017). "Titans Down to 53 Players: A Position-by-Position Look". TitansOnline.com. Archived from the original on February 6, 2018.