James E. Rutherford (born February 17, 1949) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey goaltender and current front office executive for the Pittsburgh Penguins. He is the general manager (GM) of the Pittsburgh Penguins, having been named to that position on June 6, 2014. He played in the NHL himself from 1969 to 1983; the majority of his career was spent with the Detroit Red Wings, but he also spent time with the Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Los Angeles Kings. As a goalie Rutherford won 151 games although he lost 227 games Rutherford retired as a player in 1983 at the age of 33.
Rutherford in 1976
February 17, 1949|
Beeton, Ontario, Canada
|Height||5 ft 8 in (173 cm)|
|Weight||168 lb (76 kg; 12 st 0 lb)|
Detroit Red Wings|
Toronto Maple Leafs
Los Angeles Kings
10th overall, 1969|
Detroit Red Wings
Prior to serving with the Penguins as general manager, he was the president and general manager, as well as a part owner, of the Carolina Hurricanes – known as the Hartford Whalers until 1997 – having joined the franchise in 1994 and helping build the Hurricanes team that won the Stanley Cup in 2006. Later he helped build the Penguins team that won the Stanley Cup in 2016 and again in 2017.
Jim Rutherford was one of the pioneers of the popular trend of hockey goalies decorating his mask in 1976. Initially, a friend painted a pair of red wings at the temples of Rutherford's mask without his permission. Because he didn't have time to get another fitted mask before game time, he reluctantly wore the decorated mask on the ice.
Rutherford has won the Stanley Cup three times as a general manager; in 2006 with the Carolina Hurricanes, and in 2016 and 2017 with the Pittsburgh Penguins. On June 23, 2016, he won the NHL General Manager of the Year Award.
- "Jim Rutherford NHL Statistics". Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- Rutherford named GM of Penguins, Bylsma fired
- Canes' Rutherford expected to give up GM duties at end of the season, News Observer
- Francis replaces Rutherford as Hurricanes' GM
- Bob McKenzie [@TSNBobMcKenzie] (6 June 2014). "Jim Rutherford is going to be announced as the new GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins. #TSN" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Biographical information and career statistics from Eliteprospects.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or Legends of Hockey, or The Internet Hockey Database
- Jim Rutherford's Day with the Stanley Cup
- hockey reference https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/r/rutheji01.html
| Detroit Red Wings first round draft pick
| General Manager of the Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes
| General Manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian ice hockey goaltender is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|