Jim Rock (born 12 March 1972) is an Irish former professional boxer who competed from 1995 to 2009. He is the only boxer to have held the Irish title at four different weights divisions: light-middleweight, middleweight, super-middleweight and light-heavyweight.
|Nickname(s)||The Pink Panther|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Born||12 March 1972|
|Wins by KO||12|
TV and filmEdit
In 2003, Rock trained actor Matthew McConaughey in preparation for his role in the film Reign of Fire. In return, McConaughey worked Rock's corner during his victory over Jason Collins. Rock also trained Geri Halliwell from the Spice Girls in 1999 before they kicked of their world tour in the Point Depot in Dublin.
Rock boxed as an amateur prior to turning professional in November 1995. He won his first fight at the Point Depot in Dublin, beating the previously unbeaten Craig Lynch the undercard of a bill that included fellow Irish boxers Steve Collins and Eamonn Magee.
Rock is a veteran of the Dublin professional fight scene; however, he fights out of the Breen Gym in Belfast. Rock is a former WAA Inter-Continental European Super Middleweight Title, IBC Middleweight Title, WBF Continental European Light Middleweight Title, Irish Light Middleweight Title and Irish Super Middleweight Title holder and current Irish Middleweight Title holder. However, arguably his biggest fight to date was against Margate based Iranian, Mehrdud "Takaloo" Takalobigashi for the WBU Light Middleweight Title which took place in Belfast's Odyssey Arena in February 2003. Rock lost this keenly contested fight to an explosive overhand right knock out defeat in the ninth round.
Rock currently fights on Brian Peters promotions which are broadcast on Irish station RTÉ and is unbeaten since 2003. Derry fighter John Duddy has displayed interest in taking on the Dubliner for the Irish middleweight title. Duddy's management attended Rock's 3 June 2006 fight against Kevin Phelan in Dublin, a seventh-round TKO victory for Rock. The fight was initially scheduled for 29 September 2006 at Madison Square Garden, but was then postponed, for a November 2006 bout in Dublin, Ireland which again did not materialise.
- Boxrec. "Jim Rock". Boxrec Fighter Page. Retrieved 13 October 2006.
- Tomás Rohan. "Rock - Duddy postponed". Eastside Boxing. Archived from the original on 6 October 2006. Retrieved 13 October 2006.
- Chris Curry. "Takaloo Crushes The Rock". Irish Boxing. Archived from the original on 19 October 2006. Retrieved 13 October 2006.
- Thomas Myler. "Dunne demolition job puts world on agenda". Irish Independent. Retrieved 26 March 2003.
- Tomas Rohan. ""Dunne out to short circuit Sean "Short Fuse" Hughes"". BoxingBoxing.net. Archived from the original on 14 March 2012. Retrieved 14 October 2005.
- Tomas Rohan. "Murray and Macklin claim Irish titles". BoxingBoxing.net. Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2005.
- "McConaughey gets ready to Rock..." BoxingBoxing.net. Retrieved 14 October 2005.
- "Rock added to Dunne card". IrishBoxing.com. Archived from the original on 16 October 2007. Retrieved 14 October 2007.
- "Dunne v Pickering". RTÉ. Archived from the original on 18 January 2008. Retrieved 14 October 2007.
- Profile of Brian Peters Promotions website Archived 2007-07-16 at the Wayback Machine
- A busy summer for Duddy Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine