Jiří Matoušek (mathematician)
Jiří (Jirka) Matoušek (10 March 1963 – 9 March 2015) was a Czech mathematician working in computational geometry and algebraic topology. He was a professor at Charles University in Prague and the author of several textbooks and research monographs.
Jiří Matoušek at the Mathematical Research Institute of Oberwolfach, 2005
|Died||9 March 2015(aged 51)|
|Alma mater||Charles University in Prague|
Matoušek was born in Prague. In 1986, he received his Master's degree at Charles University under Miroslav Katětov. From 1986 until his death he was employed at the Department of Applied Mathematics of Charles University in Prague, holding a professor position since 2000. He was also a visiting and later full professor at ETH Zurich.
In 1996, he won the European Mathematical Society prize and in 2000 he won the Scientist award of the Learned Society of the Czech Republic. In 1998 he was an Invited Speaker of the International Congress of Mathematicians in Berlin. He became a fellow of the Learned Society of the Czech Republic in 2005.
- Invitation to Discrete Mathematics (with Jaroslav Nešetřil). Oxford University Press, 1998. ISBN 978-0-19-850207-4. Translated into French by Delphine Hachez as Introduction Aux Mathématiques Discrètes, Springer-Verlag, 2004, ISBN 978-2-287-20010-6.
- Geometric Discrepancy: An Illustrated Guide. Springer-Verlag, Algorithms and Combinatorics 18, 1999, ISBN 978-3-540-65528-2.
- Lectures on Discrete Geometry. Springer-Verlag, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, 2002, ISBN 978-0-387-95373-1.
- Using the Borsuk-Ulam Theorem: Lectures on Topological Methods in Combinatorics and Geometry. Springer-Verlag, 2003. ISBN 978-3-540-00362-5.
- Topics in Discrete Mathematics: Dedicated to Jarik Nešetřil on the Occasion of His 60th Birthday (with Martin Klazar, Jan Kratochvíl, Martin Loebl, Robin Thomas, and Pavel Valtr). Springer-Verlag, Algorithms and Combinatorics 26, 2006. ISBN 978-3-540-33698-3.
- Understanding and Using Linear Programming (with B. Gärtner). Springer-Verlag, Universitext, 2007, ISBN 978-3-540-30697-9.
- Thirty-three miniatures — Mathematical and algorithmic applications of linear algebra. AMS, 2010, ISBN 978-0-8218-4977-4.
- Approximation Algorithms and Semidefinite Programming (with B. Gärtner). Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012, ISBN 978-3-642-22014-2.
- Mathematics++: Selected Topics Beyond the Basic Courses (with Ida Kantor and Robert Šámal). American Mathematical Society, 2015, ISBN 978-1-4704-2261-5.
- Matoušek, Jiří (1986). Vlastnosti R-stromů (M.Sc. thesis) (in Czech). Charles University in Prague.
- Jan Kratochvíl; Martin Loebl; Jarik Nešetřil; Pavel Valtr. "Prof. Jiří Matoušek". Retrieved 2015-03-18.
In the name of Jiří Matoušek's colleagues and friends from Charles University, obituary
- EMS Prize Winners.
- 2000 Awards Archived 2009-01-03 at the Wayback Machine, Learned Society of the Czech Republic.
- Matoušek, Jiří (1998). "Mathematical snapshots from the computational geometry landscape". Doc. Math. (Bielefeld) Extra Vol. ICM Berlin, 1998, vol. III. pp. 365–375.
- Member profile, Learned Society of the Czech Republic, retrieved 2015-03-10.
- "SIAM: Best Paper Awards". Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- Gowers, Timothy (2006). Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction [Matematika: Průvodce pro každého] (in Czech). Translated by Jiří Matoušek. Dokořán. ISBN 80-7363-083-4.
- "The Cost Of Knowledge". Retrieved 18 March 2015.
I've been practicing this for many years, with some exceptions (journals with few good alternatives, requests for reports from people I didn't want to disappoint). I hope this initiative will not die out.
- "Obituary of Jiří Matoušek". Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University. 12 March 2015. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- Review of Geometric Discrepancy by Allen D. Rogers, MR1697825
- Review of Lectures on Discrete Geometry by E. Hertel, MR1899299
- Blaga, Paul A. (March 2003), "Matoušek, Jiří, Lectures on Discrete Geometry" (PDF), Book Reviews, Studia Univ. Babeș-Bolyai, Mathematica, 48 (1): 119–120.
- Bárány, I. (September 2003), "Lectures on Discrete Geometry", Book Reviews, Bulletin of the London Mathematical Society, 35 (5): 719–720, doi:10.1112/S0024609303269332.
- Review of Using the Borsuk-Ulam theorem by Zdzisław Dzedzej, MR1988723
- Bárány, Imre (March 2004), "Using the Borsuk-Ulam Theorem: Lectures on Topological Methods in Combinatorics and Geometry", Book Review, Combinatorics, Probability and Computing, 13 (2): 281–282, doi:10.1017/S096354830400608X.
- Holder, Allen, "Reviewed Works: Understanding and Using Linear Programming by Jiří Matoušek, Bernd Gärtner; Introduction to Optimization by Pablo Pedregal", Review, American Mathematical Monthly, 116 (5): 471–476, JSTOR 40391139.
- Review of Thirty-three miniatures by Torsten Sander, MR2656313
- Díaz Sánchez, Raquel (2011), Thirty-three miniatures : mathematical and algorithmic applications of linear algebra [book review], European Mathematical Society.
- Kolpakov, Alexander, "Thirty-three Miniatures: Mathematical and Algorithmic Applications of Linear Algebra, by Jiri Matousek" (PDF), Elemente der Mathematik.
- Review of Approximation Algorithms and Semidefinite Programming by Jane Juan-Juan Ye, MR3015090