Jersey is a 2019 Indian Telugu-language sports drama film written and directed by Gowtham Tinnanuri and is produced by Suryadevar Naga Vamsi under his production banner Sithara Entertainments. The film stars Nani and debutant Shraddha Srinath in the lead roles while Harish Kalyan, Sanusha, Sathyaraj, Sampath Raj, and Viswant play pivotal roles. The film's music was scored by Anirudh Ravichander with cinematography handled by Sanu Varghese. Principal photography of the film commenced on 18 October 2018 and the film was released on 19 April 2019. Jersey received extremely positive reviews from critics.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Gowtham Tinnanuri|
|Produced by||Suryadevara Naga Vamsi|
|Screenplay by||Gowtham Tinnanuri|
|Music by||Anirudh Ravichander|
|Edited by||Navin Nooli|
|Box office||₹51.70 crore (US$7.5 million)|
The movie starts in 2019 in New York City, where a young man buys a book called Jersey from a book stall but later gives it to woman who came to the same stall to buy the book. He is then told that the last copy was just sold. When the woman asks for the reason behind him giving the book to her, the man replies that the book was written after the life of his father, Arjun (Nani).
The movie moves back to 1986, where Arjun is an immensely talented Ranji player who is in love with Sarah (Shraddha Srinath). Arjun eventually quits cricket after being rejected into the Indian Team continuously because of game politics. He is given a government job in sports quota. However, he loses his job after being accused of bribery.
10 years later in 1996, Arjun is 36 years old but is jobless and is always scolded by Sarah, now his wife for not consulting a lawyer to get his job back as he was innocent. Their seven-year-old son Nani (Ronit Kamra), who represents his school cricket team, asks Arjun to gift him an Indian jersey on his birthday. He promises his son to buy the Indian jersey and comes to know that it costs ₹500. Despite the lack of money, Arjun promises his son to buy the jersey by his birthday. Arjun consults a lawyer (Rao Ramesh) for his job but is told that he cannot get his job back until he pays the lawyer. Left with no option, Arjun starts asking money from his friends to buy the jersey but is unsuccessful.
Arjun is consulted by his ex-coach Murthy (Sathyaraj), who says that a charity match between Hyderabad cricket team and New Zealand is being conducted in Hyderabad. Murthy convinces Arjun to play in that match by telling Arjun that he would be given a job of an assistant coach based on his performance and will get ₹1000 as match fee. Arjun agrees to play. He gives a wonderful performance in the match but later realises that there is no match fee. A depressed Arjun slaps Nani when he asks for the jersey. However, he later realises his son's love for him.
Arjun decides that he will start playing cricket again and with a strong will to represent the Indian Cricket Team. He informs Murthy about it, who is first shocked but eventually supports him. Arjun attends the Hyderabad Ranji team selection trials and starts giving an immensely wonderful batting performance. The Hyderabad coach, Ramappa Gowda (Sampath Raj), is consulted by the Hyderabad Cricket Association head (Jayaprakash) for selections for the Ranji Trophy. Ramappa tells the BCCI head about Arjun's talent. Initially disagreeing because of his age, Arjun is later selected into the Ranji team after his consistent excellent performances. Arjun starts representing the team and plays exceptionally good cricket. He deals with boundaries always in a four-day match and is told to concentrate on his physical fitness. However, Arjun continues his boundary streak and leads his team to the final. He eventually wins back the love of his wife after a few family moments. In the finals, Hyderabad team is stuck in tough situation. Arjun, who mostly deals with sixes and fours, takes singles and doubles and leads the team single-handedly to victory but collapses after the match.
The movie goes back to 2019, where an adult Nani (Harish Kalyan) (the man who bought the book at the beginning) and Sarah are invited to a felicitation ceremony of Arjun in a hotel. Lots of people get to know about Arjun's story from the book Jersey. It is told that after the Ranji trophy final, Arjun got selected into the Indian Team. Nani is given a gift, which he opens to know that it is the Indian jersey that he asked his father 23 years ago.it is later revealed that arjun died in the hospital 2 days after the ranji finals. Nani then tells in the speech that arjun was suffering from a heart disease. Arjun knows this when he was 26 years and never told this to everyone and this was the reason why he quit cricket 10 years ago.
Nani says that what makes his father different from others are his passion and hard work, even though he knew the consequences. The movie ends with Nani saying, "That's my father."
- Nani as Arjun
- Shraddha Srinath as Sarah Arjun
- Harish Kalyan as Nani (extended cameo)
- Ronit Kamra as Young Nani
- Viswant Duddumpudi as Nandan Reddy
- Sanusha as Journalist Ramya, Nandu's girlfriend
- Sathyaraj as Coach Murthy
- Sampath Raj as Ramappa Gowda, Karnataka Coach
- Shishir Sharma as Atul, Mumbai Coach
- Praveen as Rajesh, Arjun's friend
- Jayaprakash as BCCI Chairman
- Rao Ramesh as Lawyer
- Brahmaji as Aspiring Actor
- Sanjay Swaroop as Sarah's Father
- Matthew Jackson as New Zealand star cricketer
- Finn Hulbert as New Zealand Cricketer
- Alan Beansley as South African Cricketer
The project was announced by Gowtham Tinnanuri in June 2018 and the first look poster along with the film title was released on social media on 15 June 2018. The first look poster includes a cricket jersey with the name "Arjun", who is a struggling 36 year old cricketer played by Nani in the lead role. The pre-production work of the film was underway from June 2018 and filming commenced on 18 October 2018. The film was launched on 17 October 2018 and director Trivikram Srinivas attended the ceremony as chief guest.
It was revealed that Nani signed for the film in around June 2018 while he was busy wrapping up his shoot for his next awaited film's release Devadas. The film announcement made on June 2018 while Nani was hosting the second season of the Bigg Boss Telugu show which commenced on 10 June 2018. The project also marks Nani's 23rd film in his career.
The soundtrack album was composed by Anirudh Ravichander, on his second Telugu album after Agnyaathavaasi. On 14 February 2019, the film's first single, "Adhento Gaani Vunnapaatuga", was released and won applause for freshness in the melody. Other tracks of the album were released as singles. Zee Music Company acquired the rights of the soundtrack. The entire soundtrack album was released on 17 April 2019. An additional song named "Aarambhame Le" was released on 24 April 2019. Another soundtrack album featuring the original background score, plus an additional song was released on 13 May 2019.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||17 April 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|Anirudh Ravichander chronology|
|1.||"Adhento Gaani Vunnapaatuga"||Krishna Kanth||Anirudh Ravichander||4:07|
|2.||"Spirit Of Jersey"||Krishna Kanth||Kala Bhairava, Anirudh Ravichander||4:36|
|3.||"Padhe Padhe"||Krishna Kanth, Brodha V||Anirudh Ravichander, Shakthisree Gopalan, Brodha V||3:34|
|4.||"Prapanchame Alaa"||Krishna Kanth||Shashaa Tirupati, Inno Genga||4:07|
|5.||"Needa Padadhani"||Krishna Kanth||Darshan Raval||3:29|
|6.||"Aarambhame Le (additional song)"||Krishna Kanth||Anirudh Ravichander, Srinidhi Venkatesh||1:58|
|7.||"Nuvvadiginadhe (additional song from background score)"||Krishna Kanth||Sathya Prakash||1:32|
|1.||"Marakkavillayae"||Vignesh Shivan||Anirudh Ravichander||4:07|
Marketing and releaseEdit
Jersey collected ₹51.70 crore (US$7.5 million) Worldwide gross.
The Indian Express gave 4 out of 5 stars stating "Not just drama, Jersey has enough cricketing moments to draw you to the edge of the seat. Gowtam exactly knows how much of cricket should be shown at a given point in the narration, so that the game doesn't overshadow the human drama".
Firstpost gave 4 out of 5 stars stating "Jersey packs in so many emotional moments that it’ll leave you with a heavy heart and loads of tears. It’s a blessing that this film exists in Telugu. Watch it, cherish it, and soak yourself in the world of Jersey. They don’t make such films so often these days".
IndiaGlitz gave 3.5 out of 5 stars stating "'Jersey' is a stunning narration with touching scenes, honest rendition of dialogue, apt performances, and sound technical values. A must watch film for daring to be different. Cricket lovers as well as family audiences will enjoy the ingredients".
Sify gave 3.5 out of 5 stars stating "Jersey is a refreshing and compelling sports drama and the film offers many heart-warming moments. Climax sequence is superb. Nani’s brilliant performance, emotional scenes and honest narration makes this a good movie".
- AndhraBoxOffice.com. "Jersey Box Office Collection". sacnilk.com. Retrieved 16 May 2019. Text " Telugu " ignored (help); Text " Worldwide" ignored (help)
- Guru (6 September 2018). "Jersey Telugu Movie 2018 | Nani | Cast | Trailer | Songs | Review". News Bugz. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "Jersey Movie (2019) | Reviews, Cast & Release Date in – BookMyShow". in.bookmyshow.com. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "'Jersey': Anirudh Ravichander to score music for the Nani starrer – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "Anirudh Ravichander confirms scoring music for Gowtam Tinnanuri's sports drama, Jersey, starring Nani- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 6 September 2018. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "'Jersey': Nani's next with Gowtam Tinnanuri goes on floors – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- editor (15 June 2018). "Nani's 23rd movie gets its title". telugucinema.com. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "Nani to play a cricketer in Jersey – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- Telugu360 (15 June 2018). "Nani's Jersy". Telugu360.com. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "Nani Wants To Milk Bigg Boss Success with Jersey?". Sakshipost. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "'Jersey': Natural Star Nani signs the film on a profit-sharing basis?". The Times of India. 29 October 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- V; December 31, hana On; 2018 (31 December 2018). "First Look Of Nani's Sports Film 'Jersey' Out". Silverscreen.in. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "Jersey Teaser: Nani nails it as an ageing cricketer in this inspiring sports-drama – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "Jersey teaser: Nani starrer sports drama looks inspiring". The Indian Express. 12 January 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- Telugu360 (12 January 2019). "Nani's Jersey Teaser: Story of a struggling Cricketer". Telugu360.com. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "It's official! Shahid Kapoor to star in the Hindi remake of Jersey". www.timesnownews.com.
- "Shahid Kapoor's Jersey Remake to Release in August 2020, Confirms Director". News18.
- "Rashmika Mandanna to Make Bollywood Debut Opposite Shahid Kapoor in Jersey Remake?". News18.
- "Jersey Box Office Collection". sacnilk. Text " Telugu " ignored (help); Text " Worldwide" ignored (help)
- "JERSEY MOVIE REVIEW". TimesofIndia.
- "Jersey movie review: Gowtam Tinnanuri delivers a rewarding sports drama". TheIndianExpress.
- "Jersey movie review: Nani, Shraddha Srinath film is a rewarding story of triumph and self discovery". HindustanTimes.
- "Jersey movie review: Nani delivers a sublime performance in Gowtam Tinnanuri's emotional tour de force". Firstpost.
- "Jersey Review". IndiaGlitz.
- "Jersey review: A refreshing and compelling sports drama". Sify.