Jerry Bob Abbott (born April 8, 1942) is an American country music songwriter and record producer. He is the father of heavy metal musicians Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul, both of Pantera and Damageplan.
|Birth name||Jerry Bob Abbott|
|Born||April 8, 1942|
Abilene, Texas, U.S.
Jerry Abbott was born in Abilene, Texas, on April 8, 1942. He began playing the piano at age eight, and took up the guitar aged 15. He joined a local band at the age of 18 and spent a few years touring Texas, then began working as a member of resident bands in numerous nightclubs. During this time, he attended college and obtained a business degree. In 1973, Abbott was hired as a sound engineer by the owner of a local recording studio.
Abbott was married to Norma Carolyn Abbott (née Adkisson) from 1962 until 1979, and the marriage produced two sons: Vincent Paul (born 1964) and Darrell Lance (born 1966). His sons co-founded the heavy metal band Pantera in 1981, and Abbott was the band's first manager. He also produced the group's early albums Metal Magic (1983), Projects in the Jungle (1984), I Am the Night (1985) and Power Metal (1988), at his recording studio Pantego Sound. All of these albums were released by Metal Magic Records, a label that Abbott had created under the alias Jerry Eld'n.
After Pantera agreed to a major-label deal with Atco Records in 1989, Abbott left his role as the band's producer, though Cowboys from Hell (1990) and Vulgar Display of Power (1992) were both recorded at Pantego Sound. In Texas, Abbott also served as a producer for Texas blues artist Bugs Henderson. Abbott then moved to Nashville to become a country songwriter, and founded a new studio, Abtrax Recording. Far Beyond Driven (1994) was recorded at Abtrax. Abbott was successful as a songwriter and received songwriting credits for songs recorded by artists such as Emmylou Harris and Freddy Fender.
Abbott's former wife Carolyn died in 1999, due to lung cancer. His younger son Darrell was murdered in 2004, and his elder son Vincent died from a heart attack in 2018. All three are buried at the Moore Memorial Gardens cemetery in Arlington, Texas.
- "Dimebag Darrell". Nndb.com. 2004-12-08. Retrieved 2013-02-22.
- Abbott, Jerry (2014-12-15). Over My Left Shoulder: The Life and Times of Jerry Abbott - FATHER OF Vinnie Paul The Brick Wall and Dimebag Darrell (1st ed.). Jerry Abbott.
- Jerry Abbott: Father Dime Guitar World
- Crain, Zac (2009). Black Tooth Grin: The High Life, Good Times, and Tragic End of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. Hachette Books. p. 4. ISBN 9780786748020.
- Crain, Zac (2009). Black Tooth Grin: The High Life, Good Times, and Tragic End of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. Hachette Books. p. 20. ISBN 9780786748020.
- "Guitar Nine Records - Artists With iTunes Downloads: A". Guitar9.com. Archived from the original on 2008-12-03. Retrieved 2013-02-22.
- Crain, Zac (2009). Black Tooth Grin: The High Life, Good Times, and Tragic End of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. Hachette Books. p. 105. ISBN 9780786748020.
- VINNIE PAUL Died In His Sleep Blabbermouth
- Crain, Zac (2009). Black Tooth Grin: The High Life, Good Times, and Tragic End of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. Hachette Books. p. 172. ISBN 9780786748020.
- "Vinnie Paul, Legendary Drummer for Pantera & Damageplan, Dead at 54".
- Pantera Share Photo of Vinnie Paul's Full Memorial Headstone Revolver