|Born||30 October 1955|
|Known for||18th century British foreign policy, historiography, political history|
|Notable work||World War Two: A Military History (2003)|
Black is the author of over 180 books, principally but not exclusively on 18th-century British politics and international relations, and has been described by one commentator as "the most prolific historical scholar of our age". He has published on military and political history, including Warfare in the Western World, 1882-1975 (2001) and The World in the Twentieth Century (2002).
He taught at Durham University from 1980 as a lecturer, then professor. He was awarded a PhD from Durham, entitled British Foreign Policy 1727–1731, in 1983. As a staff candidate he was not attached to any of the Durham colleges.
He was editor of Archives, journal of the British Records Association, from 1989 to 2005. He has served on the Council of the British Records Association (1989–2005); the Council of the Royal Historical Society (1993–1996 and 1997–2000); and the Council of the List and Index Society (from 1997). He has sat on the editorial boards of History Today, International History Review, Journal of Military History, Media History and the Journal of the Royal United Service Institution (now the RUSI Journal).
Awards and honoursEdit
- A Short History of War 2021
- Strategy and the Second World War 2021
- A Brief History of Britain 1851-2021: From World Power to? 2022
- England in the Age of Austen 2021
- England in the Age of Dickens 2021
- France: A Short History 2021
- Military Strategy: A Global History 2020
- George III: Madness and Majesty 2020
- Tank Warfare 2020
- A Brief History of Portugal 2020
- A Brief History of the Mediterranean 2020
- History of the Twentieth Century 2020
- A History of The World: From Prehistory to the 21st Century 2019
- Introduction to Global Military History: 1750 to the Present Day 2019
- England in the Age of Shakespeare 2019
- Charting the Past. The Historical Worlds of Eighteenth-Century England 2019
- A Brief History of Spain 2019
- War and its Causes 2019
- The English Press, a History 2019
- The World at War 1914–45 2019
- History of Europe: From Prehistory to the 21st Century 2019
- Imperial Legacies: The British Empire Around the World. 2019
- English Nationalism: A Short History 2018
- Naval Warfare: A Global History since 1860. 2017
- Plotting Power: Strategy in the Eighteenth Century. 2017
- Geographies of an Imperial Power: The British World, 1688–1815. 2017
- Combined Operations: A Global History of Amphibious and Airborne Warfare. 2017
- The World of James Bond: The Lives and Times of 007. 2017
- A History of Britain 1945 to Brexit. 2017
- Air Power. 2016
- The Holocaust: History and Memory. 2016
- Insurgency and Counterinsurgency. 2016
- (ed.) The Tory World: Deep History and the Tory Theme in British Foreign Policy, 1679–2014. 2015
- The Cold War. 2015
- The City on the Hill: A Life of the University of Exeter. 2015
- Rethinking World War Two: The Conflict and its Legacy. 2015
- War in Europe. 2015
- The Atlantic Slave Trade in World History. 2015
- Metropolis: Mapping the City. 2015
- A Short History of Britain. 2015
- Other Pasts, Different Presents, Alternative Futures. 2015
- Clio’s Battles: Historiography in Practice. 2015
- Geopolitics and the Quest for Dominance. 2015
- The British Empire. 2015
- A Century of Conflict. 2014
- Politics and Foreign Policy in the Age of George I, 1714–1727. 2014
- British Politics and Foreign Policy, 1727–44. 2014
- The Power of Knowledge: How Information and Technology Made the Modern World. 2014
- London: A History. 2013
- War in the Eighteenth Century World. 2013
- War and Technology. 2013
- Introduction to Global Military History: 1775 to the Present Day. 2012
- A History of the British Isles (3rd edn). 2012
- Avoiding Armageddon: From the Great War to the Fall of France, 1918–40. 2012
- War and the Cultural Turn. 2012
- Slavery. 2011
- Fighting for America. 2011
- Debating Foreign Policy in Eighteenth Century Britain. 2011
- The Great War and the Making of the Modern World. 2011
- War in the World 1450–1600. 2011
- Crisis of Empire. 2010
- A History of Diplomacy. 2010
- Waterloo. 2010
- War: A Short History. 2010
- The War of 1812 in the Age of Napoleon. London, New York: Continuum International Publishing Group. 2010. ISBN 978-0-8264-3612-2.
- London: a history. Carnegie Publishing. 2009.
- Great Powers and the Quest for Hegemony: The World Order since 1500. 2008
- What If?: Counterfactualism and the Problem of History. Social Affairs Unit. 2008.
- The Curse of History. Social Affairs Unit. 2008. ISBN 9781904863298.
- Eighteenth Century Britain, 1688–1783. Palgrave. 2008.
- George III: America's Last King. New Haven and London: Yale University Press. 2008. ISBN 978-0-300-13621-0.
- Parliament and Foreign Policy in the Eighteenth Century. CUP. 2004.
- The English Seaborne Empire. Yale. 2004.
- Kings, Nobles and Commoners: States and Societies in Early Modern Europe. I.B. Tauris. 2004.
- Rethinking Military History. Routledge. 2004.
- War Since 1945. 2004. e-book
- World War Two: A Military History. Routledge. 2003.
- Italy and the Grand Tour. Yale University Press. 2003.
- Italy and the Grand Tour. Palgrave. 2003.
- Visions of the World: A History of Maps. Mitchell Beazley. 2003.
- The British Abroad: The Grand Tour in the Eighteenth Century. Sutton. 2003.
- From Louis XIV to Napoleon: The Fate of a Great Power. Routledge. 1999.
- editor: War in the Modern World 1815–2000. Routledge. 2003.
- War: An Illustrated World History. Sutton. 2003.
- Georgian Devon. 2003.
- Warfare in the Eighteenth Century. Cassell. 2002.
- The World in the Twentieth Century. Longman. 2003.
- America as a Military Power 1775–1882. Greenwood. 2002.
- editor: European Warfare 1494–1660. Palgrave. 2002.
- European International Relations 1648–1815. Palgrave. 2002.
- Europe and the World 1650–1830. Routledge. 2002.
- with Donald MacRaild: Nineteenth-Century Britain. Palgrave. 2002.
- A History of the British Isles (2nd ed.). Palgrave. 2002.
- editor: European Warfare 1815–2000. Palgrave. 2002.
- War in the New Century. 2001.
- Warfare in the Western World 1882–1975. Indiana University Press/Acumen. 2001.
- War in the New Century. Continuum. 2001.
- Western Warfare 1775–1882. Indiana University Press. 2001.
- Walpole in Power: Britain's First Prime Minister. Sutton. 2001.
- The Politics of James Bond: from Fleming's Novels to the Big Screen. Greenwood. 2001.
- British Diplomats and Diplomacy 1688–1800. University of Exeter Press. 2001.
- The English Press 1621–1861. Sutton. 2001.
- Eighteenth-Century Britain 1688–1783. Palgrave. 2001.
- The Making of Modern Britain: The Age of Empire to the New Millennium. 2001.
- War, Past, Present and Future. 2000.
- A New History of Wales. 2000.
- Europe in the Eighteenth Century (2nd ed.). 2000 .
- Modern British History since 1900 (2000)
- A New History of England (2000)
- Historical Atlas of Britain: The End of the Middle to the Georgian Era (2000)
- Britain as a Military Power, 1688–1815 (1999)
- Why Wars Happen (1998); ebook
- War and the World, 1450–2000 (1998)
- Maps and History (1997)
- Maps and Politics (1997); ebook
- America or Europe: British Foreign Policy, 1739–63 (1997)
- History of the British Isles (1996)
- Illustrated History of Eighteenth Century Britain (1996)
- Warfare Renaissance to Revolution, 1492–1792 (1996)
- British Foreign Policy in an Age of Revolution (1994)
- Convergence or Divergence? Britain and the Continent (1994)
- European Warfare, 1660–1815 (1994)
- The Politics of Britain, 1688–1800 (1993)
- History of England (1993)
- The British Abroad: The Grand Tour in the Eighteenth Century. 1992.
- Pitt the Elder (1992)
- A System of Ambition? British Foreign Policy, 1660–1793 (1991)
- A Military Revolution? Military Change and European Society 1550–1800. Basingstoke: Macmillan Education. 1991. ISBN 0-333-51906-X.
- War for America: The Fight for Independence 1775–1783 (1991)
- Sir Robert Walpole and the Nature of Politics in Early Eighteenth Century Britain (1990)
- Culloden and the '45 (1990)
- The Rise of the European Powers 1679–1793 (1990)
- The English Press in the Eighteenth Century (1987)
- The Collapse of the Anglo-French Alliance 1727–31 (1987)
- Natural and Necessary Enemies: Anglo-French Relations in the Eighteenth Century (1986)
- The British and the Grand Tour (1985)
- British Foreign Policy in the Age of Austria (1985)
- Black, Jeremy. "Could the British Have Won the American War of Independence?." Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research. (Autumn 1996), Vol. 74 Issue 299, pp 145–154. online 90 minute video lecture, requires Real Player
- "Jeremy Black". Foreign Policy Research Institute. Retrieved 8 January 2021.
- Browning 2004, p. 31.
- Black, Jeremy (2003). World War Two: A Military History. New York, USA: Routledge.
- "Higher Degrees". Durham University Gazette 1982/83. 1 (Combined Series): 88. 1983. Retrieved 30 January 2021.
- Browning 2004.
- "Samuel Eliot Morison Prize previous winners". Society for Military History. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- Black, Jeremy (April 2022). A History of The World: From Prehistory to the 21st Century. Arcturus Publishing. ISBN 9781788883320.
- Browning, Reed (2004). "An Editor in Review". Archives. 29 (111): 31–58.
- Official website
- Roberts, Andrew (December 2008). "Jeremy Black: Underrated". Standpoint. Retrieved 6 June 2020.
- Works by or about Jeremy Black in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Jeremy Black, "Islam and the West: A Historical Perspective," Foreign Policy Research Institute, Volume 4, Number 2, May 2003
- on YouTube
- Jeremy Black, H-France Forum Volume 2, Issue 3 (Summer 2007), No. 3
- on YouTube
- Jeremy Black, "What Students Need to Know About War, and Why", 25 February 2009