Jani Gal (Sorani Kurdish: ژانی گەل, romanized: Janî Gel, lit. 'The Agony of a People') is a 2007 Kurdish-language Kurdish drama film directed by Jamil Rostami, who co-wrote the screenplay with Khosro Sina and also served as the producer, based on Ibrahim Ahmad's best-selling 1972 novel of the same name. The film stars Nzar Salami, Renas Wrya, and Abdul Hamajwan. The story, set in 1940s to 1950s of Kurdistan, chronicles Jwamer after his release from prison and his search for his wife and son. It was Iraq's submission to the 80th Academy Awards for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, but was not accepted as a nominee.
|Sorani Kurdish||ژانی گەل|
|Directed by||Jamil Rostami|
|Based on||Jani Gal|
by Ibrahim Ahmad
|Produced by||Jamil Rostami|
|Edited by||Morteza Moeeni|
|Music by||Karen Homayounfar|
The story is set in 1950s Iraq and illustrates the plight of Juamer in a flashback structure. When Juamer's wife goes into labor, he runs to get the midwife but is caught in the midst of a clash between Kurdish protestors and Iraqi police. He is mistakenly arrested, tortured and sentenced to ten years imprisonment. After his release, Juamer sets out to find his loved ones but he discovers that his wife died, without medical help, on the same day that he was arrested, the Make up artists of the film were Radmehr Aalipour and Ali Hamedi.
|2008||Boston Film Festival||Best International Filmmaker Award||Jamil Rostami||Won|||
|Moondance International Film Festival||Columbine Award||Jani Gal||Won|||
- "A Record 63 Countries Vying For Best Foreign-Language Oscar Nod". Yahoo! Movies. 2007-10-17. Archived from the original on September 26, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Gaydos, Steven; McCarthy, Libby (2008-01-15). "Oscar's foreign film race heats up". Variety. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Jani Gal, Review by Robert Koehler, Variety, Jan.17, 2008.
- Jani Gal: Synopsis Archived 2012-04-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- Alphabetical Film Synopsis[permanent dead link], Moondance International Film Festival, 2008.
- "'Appaloosa' best film at Boston fest". The Hollywood Reporter. Staff report , AP. September 22, 2008. Retrieved February 5, 2021.
- "'Jani Gal' to be awarded at US Moondance Film Festival". Payvand. August 24, 2008. Retrieved February 5, 2021.
- ""Jan-i-Gal" heading to Moondance festival". Mehr News Agency. July 14, 2008. Retrieved February 5, 2021.