Jan van Bemmel
Jan H. van Bemmel (born 17 November 1938) is a Dutch former professor of medical informatics at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and the Erasmus University Rotterdam. He was rector magnificus of the Erasmus University Rotterdam between 2000 and 2003.
Van Bemmel was born in Rotterdam on 17 November 1938. He studied physics at Delft University of Technology, where he obtained a degree in 1963. He subsequently started working for the Medical-Physical Institute of the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO). At the institute he was head of the workgroup of biomedical signalanalysis. Six years later he earned his Doctor title at the faculty of physics and mathematics of the Radboud University Nijmegen. His thesis concerned challenges of signal processing applied to fetal electrocardiography.
In 1973 Van Bemmel stopped working for TNO and was appointed as professor of medical informatics at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. In 1987 Van Bemmel became professor of medical informatics at the Erasmus University Rotterdam. He served as rector magnificus of the University between 2000 and 2003.
His research has amongst other topics focused on biomedical signal and image analysis, medical information systems and electronic health records. He started his work on the latter during the 1980s and later expanded into the signal and image analytics. The American Medical Informatics Association has called him "instrumental in the development of medical informatics as a discipline". He served as President of the International Medical Informatics Association from 1998 to 2001.
- Bemmel, J.H. van in De leden van de Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen: een demografisch perspectief: 1808 tot 2008, p. 253.
- "Prof.dr.ir. J.H. van Bemmel benoemd tot rector magnificus van de Erasmus" (in Dutch). Erasmus University Rotterdam. Archived from the original on 12 May 2015. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- A. Geissbuhler; E. Ammenwerth; N. Lorenzi; S. Miksch. "A Life for Health Informatics: Jan van Bemmel is the second recipient of the IMIA/UMIT Medical Informatics Award of Excellence". IMIA Yearbook 2008. IMIA: 181–182.
- "Jan H. van Bemmel, PhD, FACMI". American Medical Informatics Association. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- "Jan van Bemmel". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 20 April 2016. Retrieved 20 April 2016.