James Bourque (baseball)
|Washington Nationals – No. 64|
|Born: July 9, 1993|
Ann Arbor, Michigan
|May 26, 2019, for the Washington Nationals|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Earned run average||54.00|
Bourque attended Huron High School in Ann Arbor, Michigan and played college baseball at the University of Michigan. He was drafted by the Washington Nationals in the 14th round of the 2014 Major League Baseball Draft. He spent his first professional season with the Gulf Coast Nationals and Auburn Doubledays.
Bourque missed the 2015 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. Prior to the 2018 season, the Nationals converted him from a starter into a relief pitcher. Bourque turned in a 1.70 ERA between the Class-A Advanced Potomac Nationals and Class-AA Harrisburg Senators, working exclusively in relief, and rocketed up the prospect charts to be ranked as the Nationals' 17th-best prospect by MLB.com midway through the 2018 season. The Nationals added him to their 40-man roster after the 2018 season.
After Bourque pitched to a 1.33 ERA through 14 games with Class-AA Harrisburg, the Nationals called him up on May 25, 2019, to replace Joe Ross in the bullpen. He made his major league debut the following game, pitching in the ninth inning against the Miami Marlins.
- Niziolek, Michael. "Washington Nationals take U-M pitcher, Ann Arbor Huron alum James Bourque Saturday in 14th round of 2014 MLB Draft". MLive.com. Retrieved December 14, 2018.
- Niziolek, Michael. "Decision looming for Michigan pitcher James Bourque drafted by Washington Nationals in 2014 MLB Draft". MLive.com. Retrieved December 14, 2018.
- firstname.lastname@example.org, Jeremy Houghtaling. "After winning titles in the water, Auburn Doubledays pitcher Bourque focused on baseball". Auburn Citizen. Retrieved December 14, 2018.
- Garcia, Tony (November 19, 2018). "Former UM pitcher, Ann Arbor native added to Washington Nationals 40-man roster". MLive.com. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- "Nats add righty to 40-man roster before Rule 5". MLB.com. Retrieved December 14, 2018.
- "Nationals recall pitcher James Bourque". NBC Sports Washington. Retrieved October 14, 2019.
- RotoWire Staff (May 29, 2019). "Nationals' James Bourque: Sent back to minors". CBSSports.com. Retrieved October 14, 2019.
- "Washington Nationals win 2019 World Series". MLB. Retrieved October 31, 2019.