This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (January 2022)
Jāliyat al-Kadr (Arabic: جالية الكدر, English: Removal of Distress) is a supplicatory poem in which God is implored through the Islamic prophet Muhammad and his companions who fought alongside him in the Battles of Badr and Uhud. It was written by Ja’far b. Ḥasan b. ‘Abd al-Karīm b. al-Sayyid Muḥammad b. ‘Abd al-Rasūl al-Barzanjī, the Shafite Mufti of Medina and author of the Mawlid al-Barzanjī. The Jāliyat al-Kadr was written in the 18th century when the Ottoman empire was in decline and the Muslim world was in a state of political and intellectual upheaval. It is an example of a Sunni devotional work on intercession.
|Original title||Jāliyat al-Kadr (Arabic: جالية الكدر)|
|Translator||Abdul Aziz Ahmed|
|Subject||Intercession and Supplication|
Published in English
|1 July 2015|
The Jāliyat al-Kadr has four sections:
- Muqaddimah (Opening)
- Asmā’ Ahl al-Badr (Names of the People of Badr)
- Asmaā’ Shuhadā’ Uhud (Names of the Martyrs of Uhud)
- Khatimah (Closing)
A known commentary of Jāliyat al-Kadr is al-ʿArā’is al-Wāḍiḥa al-Gharar fī Sharḥ al-Manẓūma al-Badriyya by ‘Abdul Hādi Najā al-Abyārī (d. 1888).
Al-Sayyid Muhammad Alawi al-Maliki (d. 2004) annotated and released an edition of the Jāliyat al-Kadr in the 80s.
In 2015, Manaqib Press published the first English translation of Jāliyat al-Kadr. It was translated by Abdul Aziz Ahmed and redacted by Amjad Mahmood.
Traditionally, Jāliyat al-Kadr is recited on the 17th of Ramadan, at the completion of the Qur'an and at general gatherings of remembrance. In Dar al-Mustafa, it is recited at `Aṣr on the 17th of Ramadan.
- ^ a b c d Ahmed, A. (2015). Removal of Distress. Birmingham: Manaqib Press.
- ^ "al-ʿArā'is al-Wāḍiḥa al-Gharar (Commentary of Jaliyat al-Kadr)". Unknown. Archived from the original on 22 July 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- ^ "Jaliyat al-Kadr...Removal of Distress". Almiskeenah. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- ^ "Translation of Jāliyat al-Kadr". Muwasala. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- شرح عبد الهادى نجا الأبيارى المسمى بالعرائس الواضحةالغرر فى شرح المنظومة البدرية المسماة جالية الكدر فى فضل أهل بدر واحد (Arabic commentary of Jāliyat al-Kadr)
- جالية الكدر (Android App with Arabic text of Jāliyat al-Kadr)
- جالية الكدر باسماء اهل بدر (Audio of Jāliyat al-Kadr)
- Removal of Distress (English translation of Jāliyat al-Kadr)