Jakeem Grant (born October 30, 1992) is an American football wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League (NFL), usually operating as a return specialist. He was drafted by the Dolphins in the sixth round of the 2016 NFL Draft. He played college football at Texas Tech, where he set their all-time record for receiving yards.
|No. 19 – Miami Dolphins|
|Position:||Wide receiver |
|Born:||October 30, 1992|
|Height:||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Weight:||171 lb (78 kg)|
|High school:||John Horn (Mesquite, Texas)|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 6 / Pick: 186|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 1, 2019|
High school careerEdit
Grant attended John Horn High School in Mesquite, Texas and was a three-star prospect rated by Rivals.com. He held offers from Colorado State, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Pittsburgh, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt, and Wake Forest. He was originally committed to Tulsa but flipped his commitment to Texas Tech soon before Signing Day.
Grant redshirted during his first season in 2011. In the following 2012 season, Grant played in all 13 games and recorded 32 receptions, 287 yards, and 3 touchdowns. He returned a kickoff for a 99-yard touchdown in the 2012 Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas. He earned ESPN All-Big 12 1st Team Freshman honors following the season.
In 2013, Grant played in 12 games for 65 receptions, 796 receiving yards, 7 touchdowns, and was named All-Big 12 Conference Honorable Mention.
In 2014, Grant played in 12 games for 67 receptions, 938 receiving yards, 7 touchdowns, and again earned All-Big 12 Conference Honorable Mention honors.
In his final season, in 2015, Grant was selected as a CBS Sports second-team All-American and an Associated Press third-team All-American in 2015 as an all-purpose player. Grant caught 90 passes for 1,268 yards and 10 touchdowns, which broke Biletnikoff Award winning Red Raider Michael Crabtree's school record in career yardage. Grant returned an additional two kickoffs for touchdowns during the season, setting the school record for the category.
During Texas Tech's Pro Day, a New Orleans Saints scout recorded his 40-yard dash speed at a hand-timed 4.1 seconds, potentially beating Bo Jackson's hand-timed 4.12 seconds at the NFL Combine in 1986. His electronically recorded 40 yard dash time is 4.34 seconds.
|Year||Team||GP||Rec||Yards||TDs||Returns||Ret yds||Ret Avg||Ret TDs|
Grant's first career touchdown came on a 74-yard punt return against the Tennessee Titans in Week 5 of his rookie season. The return made 'NFL Now's Top 5 Most Athletic Plays' list at number 1.
In Week 1 of the 2018 season, Grant had a 102-yard kick off return touchdown in a 27-20 win over the Tennessee Titans, earning him AFC Special Teams Player of the Week. In Week 3, against the Oakland Raiders, he had two receptions for 70 yards and two touchdowns in the victory. Grant also recorded a 70-yard punt return touchdown in Week 5 against the Cincinnati Bengals. He suffered an Achilles injury in Week 10 and underwent season-ending surgery.
On August 20, 2019, Grant signed a four-year contract extension with the Dolphins.
In 2016, Grant starred in the NFL Network's TV series, 'Undrafted'. Showcasing his pace and athleticism as a key factor in his game, before his eventual 6th round draft selection by the Miami Dolphins.
- Fernandez, Andre. "While others got taller, Jakeem Grant got faster. That speed..." The Athletic. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- "Mesquite Horn WR Jakeem Grant decommits from Tulsa". SportsDayHS. January 12, 2011. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- "Horn WR Jakeem Grant commits to Texas Tech over Pitt". SportsDayHS. January 17, 2011. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- Silverstein, Adam. "CBS Sports 2015 College Football All-America Team". Retrieved December 11, 2015.
- "AP All-America Team, List". Associated Press. December 13, 2015. Retrieved December 14, 2015.
- "Texas Tech's Jakeem Grant earns Sports Illustrated All-america Second Team honors". KCBD. Retrieved December 11, 2015.
- Haislop, Tadd. "Texas Tech's Jakeem Grant clocked at 4.10 in 40-yard dash". SportingNews. Retrieved March 12, 2016.
- "Jakeem Grant Blazes a 4.34 40-yard dash". NFL Network. October 9, 2016. Retrieved January 22, 2017.
- "Jakeem Grant Workout Metrics". PlayerProfiler.com.
- Poupart, Alain (April 30, 2016). "Dolphins Select Grant In Sixth Round". MiamiDolphins.com. Retrieved August 23, 2017.
- "Jakeem Grant of 'NFL: Undrafted' Scores 1st Touchdown For Dolphins". 2paragraphs. Retrieved October 18, 2016.
- Teope, Herbie (September 12, 2018). "Mahomes, Fitzpatrick among Players of the Week". NFL.com.
- Deen, Safid. "Dolphins' speed shines bright in win over Raiders, Miami's first 3-0 start since 2013". Sun-Sentinel.com. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- "The Dolphins' Jakeem Grant has a simple message for teams willing to kick to him". Miami Herald. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- Gantt, Darin (November 19, 2018). "Jakeem Grant having season-ending surgery". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports.
- Bergman, Jeremy (August 20, 2019). "Jakeem Grant gets four-year extension from Dolphins". NFL.com.
- Houtz, Josh. "Dolphins Rookie Wide Receiver Jakeem Grant featured on NFL Network's "Undrafted"". SB Nation. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- "Undrafted". NFL Network.