Jacob Schum (born January 21, 1989) is an American football punter who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Buffalo. Schum was signed by the Cleveland Browns as an undrafted free agent in 2013. He has also been a member of the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Green Bay Packers.
Schum with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2015
|Born:||January 21, 1989|
Hamburg, New York
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||211 lb (96 kg)|
|High school:||Hamburg (NY) Frontier|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
Failing to attract the attention of any Division I college football programs, Schum committed to play for the Buffalo State Bengals. After one season, Schum attempted to transfer to the University at Buffalo but the Buffalo Bulls football coaches spurned his advances. Schum continued attending Buff State but withdrew from the football team, opting instead to focus on training.
Before his junior year, Schum transferred to Buffalo and walked on to the football team where he was only used as a wide receiver on the scout team under Turner Gill. In 2010, under new head coach Jeff Quinn, Schum was granted a tryout at punter and was named the team's starter in each of his final two years of athletic eligibility. He was eventually awarded a scholarship.
After going undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft, Schum spent a year working odd jobs. He was selling gym memberships for the Buffalo Athletic Club in the spring of 2013 when he got a call from the Cleveland Browns, who had taken an interest in Schum at an NFL regional combine. He signed with the Cleveland Browns on March 28, 2013. On May 13, 2013, he was waived by the Browns.
Tampa Bay BuccaneersEdit
New York JetsEdit
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (second stint)Edit
New York Jets (second stint)Edit
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (third stint)Edit
On August 26, 2015, the Buccaneers signed Schum to compete with Karl Schmitz and Michael Koenen. By September 1, Schum was the last remaining punter on the Buccaneers roster after roster cuts. Schum made his NFL debut with four punts in a game against the Tennessee Titans in September 2015, nearly four years after his final college game. On August 28, 2016, Schum was waived by the Buccaneers.
Green Bay PackersEdit
Tampa Bay VipersEdit
NFL career statisticsEdit
|Punts||Yds||Lng||Avg||Net Avg||Blk||In 20||TB||Ret||RetY||TD|
- Gleason, Bucky (September 18, 2015). "Perseverance pays off for UB's Schum". The Buffalo News. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- Hill, David J. "Locker Room: Jake Schum's Wild Ride". At Buffalo (Winter 2018). University at Buffalo. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- "Browns sign punter Jake Schum". ClevelandBrowns.com. March 28, 2013. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- "Cleveland Browns Transactions - 2013". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- Smith, Scott (January 6, 2014). "Bucs sign 12 to Reserve/Futures Contracts". Buccaneers.com. Archived from the original on April 12, 2018. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- Smith, Scott (May 21, 2014). "Bucs sign QB Tanney, three UDFAs". Buccaneers.com. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- Frankel, Charlie (June 19, 2014). "Jets Sign K Andrew Furney, P Jacob Schum". New York Jets. Archived from the original on July 2, 2014. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- Lange, Randy (August 23, 2014). "Jets Release Seven Players". New York Jets. Archived from the original on August 24, 2014. Retrieved August 24, 2014.
- Lange, Randy (December 30, 2014). "Jets Sign Simms, Plus 8 to Reserve/Future Deals". New York Jets. Archived from the original on December 31, 2014. Retrieved December 31, 2014.
- Lange, Randy (August 18, 2015). "Jets Acquire TE Arthur Lynch on Waivers". New York Jets. Archived from the original on August 19, 2015. Retrieved August 19, 2015.
- Garland, Aaron (October 2, 2015). "Frontier graduate Schum perseveres, wins NFL punting job". The Sun. Hamburg. Archived from the original on October 3, 2015. Retrieved October 3, 2015.
- Smith, Scott (August 28, 2016). "Jacob Schum, Major Wright Among 12 Cuts". Buccaneers.com.
- "Packers claim P Jacob Schum off waivers". Packers.com. August 30, 2016. Retrieved August 30, 2016.
- "Packers re-sign P Jacob Schum". packers.com. March 8, 2017.
- "Packers sign RB Jamaal Williams, release P Jacob Schum". Packers.com. June 1, 2017. Archived from the original on August 26, 2017.
- Talbot, Damond (October 16, 2019). "XFL Draft Phase 5: The Final Rounds of the Draft, Find out who was selected". NFL Draft Diamonds. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- Green Bay Packers bio
- Buffalo Bulls bio
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com · ESPN · CBS Sports · Yahoo! Sports · Pro Football Reference
| Green Bay Packers punters