Jérémie K. Dagnini is a French academic, specializing in Jamaican popular music.
Jérémie Kroubo Dagnini is a French scholar, he holds a PhD in Anglophone studies from the University Bordeaux Montaigne. He is a Jamaican popular music specialist and an associate researcher at the Center for Contemporary Political Studies at the University of Orléans (CEPOC). He is the author of numerous books and articles and has also translated the biography of Lee Scratch Perry written by journalist David Katz. In 2013, he co-wrote a book with American artist Lee Jaffe, Bob Marley & The Wailers: 1973-1976, revealing, among other things, precious details about the daily life of the band in Hope Road and Trench Town at that time, the links Bob Marley had with the local Mafia, and the 1976 smuggling operation that raised money to fund Peter Tosh groundbreaking album Legalize It. JKD also co-wrote a documentary on reggae, "Le Souffle du reggae", directed by Jérémie Cuvillier and broadcast in 2016 on France Ô. In March 2017 he was awarded by the Académie Charles Cros for his book Musiques noires. L'Histoire d'une résistance sonore (Éditions du Camion blanc). He regularly gives national and international conferences on reggae and jamaican music. In November 2018, Unesco has declared reggae as an 'intangible heritage site', J. Kroubo Dagnini delivered his insights on the topic. More recently, he gave his views on the popular Jamaican expression Bumbo Klaat in the French broadsheet Le Monde. JKD is of Ivorian descent through his father side.
- Les Origines du reggae : Retour aux sources. Mento, ska, rocksteady, early reggae, L'Harmattan, 2008 ISBN 978-2-296-06252-8. Reissued by Éditions du Camion Blanc in 2013 (preface by professor Barry Chevannes).
- Vibrations jamaïcaines. L'Histoire des musiques populaires jamaïcaines au XXe siècle, Camion blanc, 2011 ISBN 978-2-35779-157-2.
- Lee "Scratch" Perry: People Funny Boy (translation). Author: David Katz, Camion blanc, 2012 ISBN 978-2-35779-220-3.
- Bob Marley & The Wailers: 1973-1976. Co-author: Lee Jaffe. Camion Blanc, 2013 ISBN 978-2-35779-273-9.
- Rasta & Résistance (directeur d'ouvrage et préface). Author : Horace Campbell. Camion blanc, 2014 ISBN 978-2-35779-499-3.
- DJs & toasters jamaïcains : 1970-1979. Co-author: Eric Doumerc. Camion Blanc, 2015 ISBN 978-2-35779-677-5.
- Musiques noires. L'Histoire d'une résistance sonore (Editor). Camion blanc, 2016 ISBN 978-235779-872-4.
- La Peur: crise du siècle?" (Editor). Camion noir, 2022
- Le Souffle du reggae (English title: Blowin' In The Reggae Wind), documentary directed by Jérémie Cuvillier and co-written with Jérémie Kroubo Dagnini. 52 mins (Theorem/ France Ô). Selected at the Francophone Film Festival in Kingston, Jamaica (14-24 November 2018). And film screening at the National Gallery of Jamaica on 28 April 2019 (The 25th Art of Reggae Exhibition).
- Website of Jérémie Kroubo Dagnini.
- Academic personal page
- Interview in The Inrocks en 2009: conversation with Francis Dordor.
- Conversation with professor Carolyn Cooper on Jamaican music (October 2010)
- Interview on Reggae.fr. (February 2012)
- Les bonnes feuilles de Lee "Scratch" Perry: People Funny Boy (2012)
- Les bonnes feuilles de Bob Marley & The Wailers: 1973-1976 (2013)
- Review of Bob Marley & The Wailers: 1973-1976 in Inrocks and in Jamaica Observer
- Review of Musiques noires in Le Monde diplomatique and interview in CQFD.
- The Importance of Reggae Music in the Worldwide Cultural Universe article (in English) by J. Kroubo Dagnini published in the academic journal Études caribéennes (August 2010).
- Kingston: A Societal Patchwork article (in English) by J. Kroubo Dagnini published in the academic journal Études caribéennes (June 2018).
- "Site du CEPOC" (in French). Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Fiche technique du documentaire "Le Souffle du reggae"" (in French). Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Coup de cœur de l'Académie Charles Cros 2017, dans la catégorie "Livres: musiques du monde"". Archived from the original on 2017-03-21. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Liste des conférences" (in French). Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- See the technical sheet
- See National Gallery of Jamaica
- Les Inrockuptibles Hors série, Reggae Story, p. 20-23, July 2009.
- Les Inrockuptibles, No 931 2 to 8 October 2013, p. 60-6.
- Jamaica Observer, 22 June 2014.
- Le Monde diplomatique, n° 755, February 2017, p. 26.
- CQFD, n°150, January 2017, (p. 6-7).