Iowa Western Community College
Iowa Western Community College is a community college in Council Bluffs, Iowa. The college was founded in 1967, and offers 84 programs in both vocational and technical areas as well as in liberal arts. It is also home to a respected flight school for various aircraft related professions.
|Motto||"The world is waiting... For You!"|
|President||Dr. Dan Kinney|
|Students||Enrolled: 5,092 |
Continuing education: 42,795
|Colours||Ice Blue and Silver|
Aside from the main campus in Council Bluffs, the college has expanded into other parts of the district with the establishment of centers in Atlantic (Cass County Center), Harlan (Shelby County Center), Shenandoah (Page/Fremont County Center) and Clarinda (Clarinda Center).
Iowa Western Community College is regionally accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA). Iowa Western Community College was initially granted accreditation by the NCA of Colleges and Schools (presently known as the Higher Learning Commission) in 1975. The college has maintained its accreditation status through the traditional self-study process. In December 2005, Iowa Western Community College was accepted into the Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP). This alternative accreditation process is predicated upon a continuous improvement model developed by the HLC.
IWCC offers Air Force ROTC through a cross-town agreement with the University of Nebraska-Omaha, which are where the ROTC classes are held.
Iowa Western's sports teams are nicknamed the Reivers. Men's sports include baseball, basketball, soccer, wrestling, cross country, golf, shotgun sports, track & field, bowling and football. Women's sports include basketball, softball, soccer, bowling, cross country, golf, shotgun sports, track & field, and volleyball. Co-ed sports include cross country, track & field, cheerleading and golf. Reiver athletics also include cheer-leading and a dance team nicknamed the Sapphires.
Iowa Western is a Division 1 school in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA). The men and women have 7 NJCAA National Championships between them. The men's National Championships were in football (2012), baseball (2010, 2012, 2014), and soccer (2013). The women's National Championships were in volleyball (2006) and soccer (2013). In addition to the NJCAA National Championships, the cheer-leading squad won the 2016 World University Championships.
- Derwin Kitchen (born 1986), basketball player for Ironi Nahariya of the Israeli Basketball Premier League
- Mark Brandenburg and Greg Forristall are Iowa State Representatives for the 15th and 22nd District respectively.
- Geronimo Allison - NFL Wide Receiver for Green Bay Packers
- Ron Boone Professional Basketball player. Professional recorod of 1041 consecutive games played. Current announcer for the Utah Jazz.
- Don Jackson - Former NFL running back for the Green Bay Packers, currently playing for the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League
- Nick Easley - Iowa Hawkeye, Outback Bowl MVP
- "Higher Learning Commission". Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "IWCC Accreditation". Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "History of IWCC". iwcc. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- "U.S. Air Force ROTC". U.S. Air Force Rotc. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- "Reiver Athletics". Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "Nation Junior College Athletic Association". NJCAA. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Reiver Athletics". goreivers. Retrieved 18 March 2017.