International Union of Painters and Allied Trades
The International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT) is a union representing about 100,000 painters, glaziers, wall coverers, flooring installers, convention and trade show decorators, glassworkers, sign and display workers, asbestos worker/hazmat technician and drywall finishers in the United States and Canada. Most of its members work in the construction industry.
|Full name||International Union of Painters and Allied Trades|
|Affiliation||AFL-CIO, North America's Building Trades Unions|
|Key people||Kenneth E. Rigmaiden, General President|
|Office location||Hanover, MD|
|Country||United States, Canada|
Originally called the Brotherhood of Painters and Decorators of America, the union was first formed in 1887. Local unions belong to district councils. District councils perform most of the services of the union. IUPAT is affiliated with the AFL-CIO in the U.S.
The Painters was one of three unions (SEIU and AFSCME were the others) to endorse Howard Dean during the 2004 Democratic primaries. In a surprise move in 2008, IUPAT endorsed Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee. The union had endorsed Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primaries, and endorsed Barack Obama for president in June 2008. They endorsed Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary.
- US Department of Labor, Office of Labor-Management Standards. File number 000-035. (Search) Report submitted 26 March 2014.
- "About Us." International Union of Painters and Allied Trades. Accessed April 30, 2016.
- "About Us: Our History." International Union of Painters and Allied Trades. Accessed April 30, 2016.
- Wilgoren, Jodi. "Major Union Plans to Pull Its Support For Dean." New York Times. February 8, 2004; Slackman, Michael. "Labor Leaders Add Their Heft to Dean Rallies." New York Times. November 23, 2003.
- "Mike Huckabee Wins IUPAT Membership Poll on Republican Candidates While Campaigning in Michigan." Press release. Huckabee For President. January 12, 2008. Accessed August 2, 2008.
- Michaels, Seth. "IUPAT Endorses Obama." AFL-CIO Now Blog. June 20, 2008. Archived October 3, 2008, at the Wayback Machine Accessed August 2, 2008.
- "Clinton, riding momentum from debate, wins union backing and accuses Republicans of targeting immigrants". The Washington Post. Retrieved 8 October 2018.
Media related to International Union of Painters and Allied Trades at Wikimedia Commons
|This article related to a North American labor union or trade union is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|