Institute of Financial Accountants
The Institute of Financial Accountants (IFA) is a professional body representing and providing certification for financial accountants in the United Kingdom. The IFA is a full member of the International Federation of Accountants.
|Incorporated Financial Accountant (FFA or AFA)|
|Headquarters||The Podium, 1 Eversholt Street, Euston, London, NW1 2DN|
|John Edwards (CEO), Catherine Chamberlain (Chairman), Sir Bryan Nicholson (Patron)|
|Subsidiaries||Federation of Tax Advisers (FTA)|
|Slogan||To be the lead international professional body for accountants primarily serving small and medium business enterprises|
The Institute was founded in 1916.
In 1997, the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) granted reciprocal exemption to the IFA for seven of its exams. However, in that same year ACCA sued IFA for plagiarising ACCA's examination syllabi. The parties neared a settlement agreement. However Accountancy Age reported that, "The High Court found the IFA had plagiarised large portions of ACCA's syllabus, including a typographical error."
In 2005, during a round of merger talks between certain chartered bodies, talks took place with the ICAEW with a view to establishing IFA both as a feeder body, and as a 'fall-back' professional body for accountants who had not passed the final exams of other bodies such as CIMA or ACCA.
In 2006, talks took place between the IFA, the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) and the International Association of Book-keepers (IAB), regarding the creation of a joint qualification structure.
In 2014, the IFA announced a merger with the Institute of Public Accountants of Australia to form the IPA Group; the world's largest SME/SMP professional accountancy body. Members of the IFA obtained membership of the IPA at their equivalent IFA membership grade.
As of 2015, IFA had about 10,000 members in about 80 countries.
Membership and certificationsEdit
To be admitted to membership of the IFA, applicants must generally complete a period of relevant work experience and pass a series of examinations; applicants can also be admitted to membership by way of exemption or by accreditation of prior learning.
IFA is recognised by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). Ofqual regulates qualifications, examinations and assessments in England and vocational qualifications in Northern Ireland and grants formal recognition to bodies and organisations that deliver qualifications and assessments. As of June 2015 IFA offers various certifications in financial accounting, tax advisement, and financial and business management, all in small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Index of UK and Irish Accountancy and Professional Bodies at ICAEW website
- IFA. Benevolent Fund Page accessed June 21, 2015
- Open Charities. The Institute of Financial Accountants and International Association of Book-Keepers Benevolent Fund Page accessed June 21, 2015
- IFA faces big ACCA damages claim for syllabus copying, Accountancy Age, 8 Aug 1997
- John Stokdyk for Accountancy Age. 01 Jul 1998 Institutes - ACCA issues plagiarism writ
- Accountancy Age, 17 July 1998 News in Brief
- ICAEW talks planned new home for 'failed' chartereds, Accountancy Age, 19 Jan 2006
- Accounting bodies to discuss qualifications merger, Accountancy Age, 24 Apr 2006
- HM Treasury AML/CFT Report Retrieved 15 June 2015
- International Federation of Accountants Welcomes New Members and Associates, IFAC, 16 November 2011. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- FTA’s First Annual Conference celebrated its merge with the IFA Group, FTA, 8 June 2009. Archived 14 July 2011 at WebCite
- Professional Planner
- Accountancy Live 18 Dec 2014, Retrieved 10 Jan 2015
- IFA.ORG About Us Retrieved 29 May 2015
- Routes to membership. IFA.
- Who we are, Ofqual. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- The Register of Regulated Qualifications Ofqual Register Retrieved 11 June 2015
- British Qualifications, Kogan Page, 36th Edition (2006), page 440
- University of Northampton International Accounting (Top Up BA Hons) IFA Retrieved 21 June 2015