This article may be too technical for most readers to understand. Please help improve it to make it understandable to non-experts, without removing the technical details. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
GlassBridge Enterprises, Inc., formerly Imation Corporation, is an American holding company. Through its subsidiary, Glassbridge focuses primarily on investment and asset management. Prior to the name change, Glassbridge had three core elements – traditional storage (magnetic tape and optical products), secure and scalable storage (data backup, data archive and data security for small and medium businesses) and what the company calls “audio and video information” products.
|Founded||March 1996Maplewood, Minnesota, United Statesin|
(as a spin-off)
(CFO and Interim CEO)
Joseph De Perio
|Revenue||$1.460 billion (2010)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||GlassBridge Asset Management|
Imation was started in 1996, when 3M spun off its data storage and imaging business. The company underwent a divestment of non-core businesses, and invested in four core product technology areas: secure storage, scalable storage, wireless/connectivity, and magnetic tape. As part of 3M, the company was involved in the development of many technological improvements in data storage, such as the introduction of the first American-made magnetic tape in 1947, the first quarter-inch tape cartridge for data storage (QIC) in 1971, and the 3.5-inch (89 mm) floppy disk in 1984.
In February 2012, Imation announced a product set to secure mobile data, identities, and workspaces, based on the idea that employees used portable storage devices to transport corporate data.
The security news followed five acquisitions the company made in 2011 in scalable storage and data security: ENCRYPTX; MXI Security from Memory Experts International; the assets of ProStor; the secure data storage hardware business of IronKey; and intellectual property from Nine Technologies. Imation received an exclusive license from IronKey for its secure storage management software and service and a license to use the IronKey brand for secure storage products.
In October 2011, Imation products for small and medium businesses centered on its DataGuard and InfiniVault multi-tier data protection and data archive appliances.
The company sold consumer electronics, headphones and accessories under the Imation, Memorex, TDK Life on Record, and XtremeMac brands. The combined Imation, Memorex and TDK Life on Record brands made the company into a global market share leader in sales of CD-R and DVD media before that business was shut down in 2016.
Glassbridge Enterprises sold the Imation brand name to Korean company O-Jin Corporation Co., Ltd. on August 4, 2017.
- "10-K Annual Report, 12/31/1996". Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved November 7, 2010.
- "10-K Annual report". corporate-ir.net. February 26, 2010. Retrieved September 9, 2010.
- "Imation Reports Quarter 2012 Financial Results". April 12, 2012.
- Hilsenrath, Jon E. (1996-06-30). "INVESTING IT;3M's Big Spinoff Has High Hurdles Ahead". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-02-27.
- Joseph F. Kovar (March 3, 2011). "Imation Looks To Data Security, Data Leakage Tech With ENCRYPTX Acquisition". CRN.
- Warren, Rich. "IMPROVED RECORDING TAPE BY 3M WAS BORN IN THE U.S.A." chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2020-02-27.
- Neil J. Rubenking (February 14, 2012). "Imation Unifies IronKey, MXI, and ENCRYPTX Technologies". PC Magazine Online.
- Ed Stych (December 20, 2011). "Imation makes another tech purchase, adds ex-CEO to company". Minneapolis St. Paul Business Journal.
- "Imation buys IronKey's secure data storage hardware business". Minneapolis St. Paul Business Journal. December 20, 2011.
- "CD Tracker: Trends for CD-R/RW Writer and Media Markets". Santa Clara Consulting Group. 2011. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- "DVD Tracker: Trends for DVD Recorder and Media Markets". Santa Clara Consulting Group. 2011. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- "Back-Up Tape Tracker: Q.4-2011 Global Review". Santa Clara Consulting Group. 2011. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-03-01. Retrieved 2017-03-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-03-02. Retrieved 2017-03-02.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "GlassBridge Annual Report". Glassbridge. 2017.
- "GlassBridge Sells IMATION® Trademark to O-Jin Corporation" (Press release). Oakdale, MN, USA. PRNewswire. 2017-12-01. Retrieved 2018-04-21.
- [http://www.imation.com/board/bbs/board.php?bo_table=news_en&wr_id=10 imation.com, 2019-11-13, Imation global license announcement, retrieved 2020-09-13.