Ilijas Farah (born February 16, 1966) is a Canadian-Serbian set theorist and logician and a professor in mathematics at York University and at Mathematical Institute, Belgrade, Serbia. His research is in applications of logic to operator algebras and set theory. He writes about operator algebras that apply various concepts, tools, and ideas from logic and set theory to classification problems in operator algebras.
He received his BSc and MSc in 1988 and 1992 respectively from the Belgrade University and his PhD in 1997 from the University of Toronto under the supervision of Stevo Todorcevic. He is now a professor in mathematics at York University, Toronto. Before moving to York University he was a NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow, York University (1997–99) and an assistant professor at Rutgers university (1999–2000), and at CUNY–Graduate center and College of Staten Island (2000–03).
Awards, distinctions, and recognitionsEdit
- Sacks prize for the best doctorate in Mathematical Logic, 1997
- Governor General's Gold Medal for one of the two best doctorates at the University of Toronto, 1998
- The Canadian Association for Graduate Studies/University Microfilms International Distinguished Dissertation Award, for the best dissertation in engineering, medicine and the natural sciences in Canada, 1998.
- Dean's award for outstanding research, York University, 2006.
- Faculty Excellence in Research Award (Established Research Award), Faculty of Science, York University, 2017
Farah was an invited speaker at the ICM, Seoul 2014, Logic session, where he presented his work related to the logic and operator algebras. He was one of the organizers of the fall 2012 Thematic Program on Forcing and its Applications (Applications to Operator Algebras) at the Fields Institute.
- On Contribution of Serbian Mathematicians to Set Theory
- Samuel Coskey and Ilijas Farah: Automorphisms of corona algebras, and group cohomology (Additional information), Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, March 19, 2014
- APPLICATIONS OF MODEL THEORY TO OPERATOR ALGEBRAS July 31 – August 4, 2017, University of Houston
- Logic and operator algebras by Ilijas Farah
- Mathematics Genealogy Project: Ilijas Farah
- 1997 Sacks Prize winners
- York University Ilijas Farah Home page
- Student and faculty member achievements celebrated at annual ceremony, York University, March 24, 2017
- Jang,Sun Young; Kim, Young Rock; Lee, Dae-Woong; Yie, Ikkwon (ed): Proceedings of the International Congress of Mathematicians, Seoul 2014, VOLUME II, Invited Lectures, p. 15
- Ilijas Farah: Logic and operator algebras, Seoul ICM, August 2014
- Workshop on Applications to Operator Algebras, September 10–14, 2012
- ASL Sacks Prize Recipients 2015
- Martino Lupini Awards & grants