If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love
|"If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love"|
|Published in||Apex Magazine|
|Published in English||2013|
As a paleontologist lies in a coma, his fiancée tells him how things would be different if he were a Tyrannosaurus rex.
"If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love" won the 2013 Nebula Award for Best Short Story, and was nominated for the 2014 Hugo Award for Best Short Story. Critic Ana Grilo describes it as "beautiful", "powerful", and "intense", and "almost like a piece of poetry", but questions whether it can truly be considered speculative fiction.
The story was at the center of the Sad Puppies controversy; it was held up as an example of "message fiction" by its detractors, symptomatic of an alleged clique of "social justice warriors" who they claimed were controlling the awards. It was strongly criticized by authors like John C. Wright and Sarah Hoyt.
- "2013 Nebula Awards Winners". Locus Online. 2014-05-20. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- "2014 Hugo Awards". The Hugo Awards. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Grilo, Ana (2015-11-01). "Reading the 2014 Hugo Award Finalists--The Short Stories Ballot". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Young, Cathy (2015-09-01). "Culture Warriors Invade Sci-Fi/Fantasy". Reason.com. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Wright, John C. (2015-01-31). "Dinosaur-sized bigotry". John C. Wright's Journal. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Hoyt, Sarah (2015-01-31). "If You Were A Grown Up, My Love". According To Hoyt. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Text of the story at Apex Magazine